PDA

View Full Version : How do you "give" large files to customers?

danny
03-06-2014, 9:33pm
So I recently did an event for someone and now need to get the photos to them. But, at 80gb it is not as easy as putting them on a thumb drive or DVD as I would for a portrait shot. So how do you do it? Do I just put them on an external HD?

ricktas
03-06-2014, 10:19pm
a small external hdd? That they can return.

wmphoto
03-06-2014, 11:23pm
80gb of photos for one event? Are you supplying RAW files? I think a HDD is the best option given the size.

ameerat42
04-06-2014, 7:25am
Whew! 80GB! Hire a moving van.

Speedway
04-06-2014, 12:20pm
Wow 80GB that's some event My nearest to that was last years SA Dirt Kart Title. 3 12hr days 2 cameras and I only managed 36GB. The only way is as said is use a HDD. I would add that into the price of the shoot and they keep it.
Cheers
Keith.

danny
04-06-2014, 7:09pm
I know 80gb ridicules :p

500 photos shot on a D610, processed to the highest quality JPEG.

Glad to hear that you all suggest a HDD. That is what I was intending to do but wandered if anyone had a way that I hadn't thought of.

I suppose a drop box (business level) would also work but that would cost me $75 a month :confused013

ameerat42
04-06-2014, 7:11pm
I know 80gb ridicules :p

500 photos shot on a D610, processed to the highest quality JPEG.

Glad to hear that you all suggest a HDD. That is what I was intending to do but wandered if anyone had a way that I hadn't thought of.

I suppose a drop box (business level) would also work but that would cost me $75 a month :confused013

Approx the cost of a HDD, and at a fraction of the time.:rolleyes:

wideangle
04-06-2014, 8:22pm
A HDD drive would be the best bet, if this was for buseinss you should add into the cost of the storage medium, in this case around $70-100 for a HDD

I @ M
05-06-2014, 5:53am
Danny, I am really really really having a hard time understanding how you are ending up with jpeg images that are so large.

Can you please explain how you achieve approx 160 mb jpeg images from your camera or processing when I typically see 20 - 30 mb per image from a D800 when saved at 100%.

ricktas
05-06-2014, 6:24am
I agree with Andrew ^.

D610 fine jpg files should average out around 12MB. So 500 of those should be about 6Gb. Are you sure you are not accidentally trying to send both NEF and jpg? I can fit about 700 D800 NEF files on a 64 GB sd card. something is wrong here if you have 500 fine jpg taking up 80gb

MissionMan
05-06-2014, 8:02am
I'd personally look at a flash drive (USB stick). You can pick up 64GB versions for $50 these days but I guess it depends on how much you are charging. 80GB is a lot of data, seems unrealistic unless you are supplying RAW or TIF.

The other option is bluray but I'm not sure whether all customers would have access to these.

Faceman
05-06-2014, 10:19am
80gb! that would be over 5000 JPGs at the average size for that resolution.Are you sure the folder you are looking at doesn't contain RAW/TIFF/PSD or other files?There are 100Mpixel images on the web that are no bigger than 30mb, yours seem to be 160mb each, which would be the size of a PSD file out of Photoshop.

danny
05-06-2014, 6:31pm
Danny, I am really really really having a hard time understanding how you are ending up with jpeg images that are so large.

Can you please explain how you achieve approx 160 mb jpeg images from your camera or processing when I typically see 20 - 30 mb per image from a D800 when saved at 100%.

I don't know!!!! Clearly I am doing something wrong :confused013 I shoot raw and process them in photoshop at the highest quality JPEG. I'll have to have a look at what I did. I had thought it was "strange" that the file was so big.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all so much!! And to make the whole situation worse….

On another thread I posted (after this one) I mentioned that I have had a HDD fail. :eek: It was that particular HDD that contained the above mentioned JPEG files. At least it will give me a chance to work out what I am doing wrong!

ameerat42
05-06-2014, 6:33pm
Danny. Don't worry! You might be wrong.
Where is the file size reported that you're reading? Is it on the HDD, or is it in Photoshop in (whatever passes as the) status bar these days?
When you open a jpeg in PS it reports the full bitmap size. In my humble CS2 version, it is shown in the image window, on the bottom LHS.

To describe an example (and because I'm too lazy to do screen prints), I opened a jpeg file that was 1.76MB on disk. It opened to
a file of 10.6MB in Photoshop. Just saying, is all.

I can't think of any other explanations.
Am.

WhoDo
05-06-2014, 9:04pm
From my experience, when file sizes go off the scale like this, the data has corrupted. I sure hope I'm wrong though Danny. :(

ktoopi
06-06-2014, 1:10pm
Try Hightail....I find it better than drop box. Not sure you could do 80g for free though may have to have business plan

johndom
09-06-2014, 7:59pm
A hard disk is definitely the best option- but by the sound of it you might be dealing with a slightly smaller bunch of files. in which case a USB would be fine.

danny
10-06-2014, 8:32pm
Was, I think you were right. I am starting to reprocess the files and it seems that there was something wrong (corrupted) the first time around.

I suppose I chalk it all up to experience. And once again thank those on here that have helped.

- - - Updated - - -

Was, I think you were right. I am starting to reprocess the files and it seems that there was something wrong (corrupted) the first time around.

I suppose I chalk it all up to experience. And once again thank those on here that have helped.

Lance B
10-06-2014, 8:51pm
"How do you "give" large files to customers?"

If you're a lawyer and it's your client, in a cake! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

danny
10-06-2014, 9:19pm
:lol:

aussie girl
10-06-2014, 10:59pm
"How do you "give" large files to customers?"

If you're a lawyer and it's your client, in a cake! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yeah, and then the client would sue you coz they bit into the file and broke the only tooth they had left :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Lance B
11-06-2014, 12:02am
Yeah, and then the client would sue you coz they bit into the file and broke the only tooth they had left :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

:lol:

However, we probably shouldn't laugh as it would probably would be true!

Sorry to hijack your thread, Danny.