PDA

View Full Version : Formatt-Hitech filters

Jad
02-06-2014, 9:41am
I am looking to buy some ND filter and wonder if anyone has used the brand Formatt-Hitech filter. I have read that they are more color balanced than other brands on the market. If you have used them, what is your opinion of them?

hakka
02-06-2014, 11:06am
They are better than Cokin but not as good as Lee.

arthurking83
05-06-2014, 4:37pm
I have two of the 150's in my possession now. Haven't yet used them in anger, as just after I adapted the adapter to suit them, I got busy doing other stuff.

I'll try to put them to use over the coming weekend and see how effectively they work.

I also have a set of Lee's with the same grad strengths and will try to compare them if I can.
My only issue is that I can't compared them directly on the same lenses to see if there is any differences.

dtmateojr
06-06-2014, 12:33am
I am looking to buy some ND filter and wonder if anyone has used the brand Formatt-Hitech filter. I have read that they are more color balanced than other brands on the market. If you have used them, what is your opinion of them?

For fast exposures they are fine. The magenta colour cast becomes stronger at longer exposures. The resin material is very easy to get scratched :(

arthurking83
08-06-2014, 4:46pm
Exposure times in themselves should really make any difference, the amount of light and or difference in light intensity in various parts of the scene may make a difference .. but on my 3 stop grad I've recently noted a very slight magenta cast.

A bunch of us were out recently on a meetup and I didn't want to burden the rest of the group with my prolonged testing of stuff.
When I did have some time to test, the light wouldn't have revealed much in trying to compare them, and it also drizzled for most of the time I had to actually take some shots.

Note tho that the magenta cast isn't overly strong, and I feel is more of a warming effect, easily cancelled out with appropriate WB settings.
My first ever image with the Hitech, my preference was to set a WB that produced the slight magenta look to the light modified section of the scene.

IF your only interest is in full ND only and not grads, any magenta cast in the image is easily cancelled out in PP with an appropriate WB setting.
After all, magenta(vs green) is a part of WB setting anyhow .. and as the entire image has been 'magentarised', a shift to green will take care of it easily.

Also I'm only assuming that Formatt uses the same dyes for their NDs and they do for their GNDs too.