PDA

View Full Version : Long exposure noob question

Grillman
28-05-2014, 3:13pm
Hi guys,

I have been trying some long exposures but too much light is coming in.

Would you guys think the only issue is not having an ND filter?

bitsnpieces
28-05-2014, 3:30pm
Pretty much. ND filter will cut that light down, that way you can allow the longer exposure and not have the over excess light come in.

There are other ways too, having a higher aperture number, meaning you won't get the low depth of field - but if that's not an issue, then just make sure your ISO is at it's lowest, set the exposure time, and bump up the aperture value until you get it dark enough to sit and allow the exposure lighten it up.

But as mentioned, if you want the shallow depth of field, you need the ND filter so you can keep the aperture was wide as possible.

raysul
28-05-2014, 3:37pm
If you're photographing a bright sunny day, and you're on your smallest f-stop, and the lowest ISO and you still can't get the correct exposure being to bright then yes and ND filter would help.

Ray

ameerat42
28-05-2014, 3:52pm
This is...

Hi guys,

I have been trying some long exposures but too much light is coming in.

Would you guys think the only issue is not having an ND filter?

...not enough info to give any sort of meaningful reply.

Details about subject, illumination, camera settings, are what we chiefly need.

Am.

Kym
28-05-2014, 3:55pm
Read this first... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Tutorials:Night_photography_and_long_exposures

then answer Am's questions and we can help you

Grillman
28-05-2014, 8:50pm
Well I was trying to take long exposures of this Golden Pavilion https://www.google.com.au/search?q=kinka+kuji&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=fLiFU_jQI8OKlQW2wYHYDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1842&bih=925

It was a bright sunny day, after midday. I was using shutter priority anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds. The data from one photo says 1 second exposure, F22, ISO 100.

Boo53
28-05-2014, 9:56pm
Its a lovely looking building, but I'm still wondering why you're trying a long exposure on a bright sunny day when it doesn't really seem necessary

ameerat42
28-05-2014, 10:50pm
Doing a bit of a backward equivalence of exposure values:
1 sec, f/22
1/2 sec, f/16
1/4 sec, f/11

...Nope. For a sunny day at ISO100, typical exposure would be about
160 sec, f/11... Maybe up to 1/200sec, f/11.

To answer your original Q, the issue would be an ND filter in this case. One that has about a 5-stop density rating.

But, as has been said above, why use an ND filter at all for these shots?
Am.

bitsnpieces
28-05-2014, 11:29pm
Just one guess from me is that he wanted the water to look more misty than just a nice reflection.

Or a certain light to have a shine to it I guess. :confused013

It'll be interesting to see the results though :)

Grillman
29-05-2014, 1:32am
Yes exactly, I wanted the water have a blurry smoothness.

I ended up doing that with photoshop but it's not ideal.

I guess I thought that the image wouldn't have turned out perfect but that it would be something I could sort out in post. But as it turned out the images were unusable.

ameerat42
29-05-2014, 9:35am
OK, the first shall be last, and all that...
So, I estimated about a 5-stop ND filter. That would be minimum. Maybe go more...10-stops?
Am.

nimrodisease
29-05-2014, 6:43pm
As others have said... to be shooting shutter speeds > 1s in broad daylight, there is just no question that you will need an ND filter. I would definitely be suggesting a 10 stop filter for daylight long exposures. Anything less and you will likely find yourself still wanting more.

Grillman
29-05-2014, 11:46pm
Ok thanks guys!