PDA

View Full Version : Selling images in markets?

cookey
26-05-2014, 10:33pm
Hi

just wondering how many people have attempted to sell their images at markets & how they went.

Made a few inquiries and to get a stall at a popular market in the south west of WA costs only $15 + $6 for insurance for the day.

I work away for 2 weeks at a time & was looking to attend a market once a month to sell images on postcards, coffee mugs, t shirts, framed prints & canvas.

I hung a couple of images in the local coffee shop & was lucky enough to sell one image within a couple of hours.(Lighthouse image entered in the singular competition) <<< disqualified, see personal message sent to you - Admin

Tried to price what people can afford in this area & by the time the coffee shop took their percentage I still made 130% profit.

Any advice appreciated please.

Still got some things to buy(small marquee,shop fitting mesh & tressel tables) but hoping to sell at the start of spring.

Already got some business cards in the making.

Steve Axford
27-05-2014, 11:14am
Good luck. I once met a guy who did this quite successfully. He made money because he worked out how to make high quality prints cheaply. He did all his own printing and he focused on that. He used the same photos that he had been using for years. The moral of that tale is that it isn't the photos that are important, it is the printing and presentation.

Speedway
19-11-2014, 11:36am
I have been doing this for about 12 months now and have had some success in that every market I have attended I have come out in front financially (including travelling (up to 200km each way) but not time) I am a pensioner and I enjoy the day out meeting people and I make a little on the side to help with my hobby.
I do all my own printing (Canon iX6860 A3+ printer) and framing, sourcing cheap frames from reject, opp and $2 shops. My stock frame sizes are 8x10, A4, 300x400, 400x500 and 8x24 Panorama and I keep my prices dowm to a max of $55 for an 13"x19" in a 400x500 frame.
I do not make anywhere near a living out of it but it is enjoyable and has been a small supplement to the pension.
Cheers
Keith.

wideangle
21-11-2014, 11:40am
I guess it depends on what you are doing it for and the market you want to capture. Is photography purely a hobby or are you wanting to create a business out of it? Will you be selling landscape photos of the area or offering other services to people such as portrait shoots etc? Undertake research into the market youa are proposing to sell and work out what kind of market they are captuting. Is it a mix of tourists and locals visiting? Do the stalls have second hand itemsm for sale predominatly? There is a lot of work involved and money in not just having a stall every week or month but the setup costs and work that goes into getting prints/mounting boards/frames etc. Other benifits of a market, even if there isn't the turnover of money is to get yourself known more amongst the local community and to build up contacts. All depends on what you are wanting to get out of it really.