PDA

View Full Version : RRS shipping times - anyone ordered from them?

MissionMan
19-05-2014, 12:55pm
Hi there

Does anyone know what the shipping times are like for RRS (Really Right Stuff) and what the preferred methods of shipping are? Looking to order a couple of L plates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

billy4030
19-05-2014, 1:06pm
I was talking to a fellow in Digidirect in Sydney couple of weeks ago, he recommended them, and said hes ordered from them and had it in a week. But I guess that depends if its in stock. Their website says UPS delivery. If you do order from them and happy post it on here, as I'm thinking about an L plate and a head in the near future.

arthurking83
19-05-2014, 1:32pm
I ordered the BH-55 and a single plate and clamp to start with .. I remember it all came in about a week too.
Considering the expense of the freight, it out to have tho.

I've had some small items come within three days.
I reckon if you order by early in the week, or even on a weekend, so that the order is ready to go early in the week, it should be quite speedy.

As for L-Brackets and other plates. I found that RRS is just a tad on the expensive side.

Hejnar is much better value for money. His L-Brackets are an acquired taste tho .. so this needs to be pointed out before commitment is made to this style.
Once you get used to it tho, it seems to be(to me) a better system overall.

I originally got Hejnar's L bracket for use without the battery grip on my D800. I then had the opportunity to acquire an L-Bracket with a traditional design(Markins) for the D300. I ground it down to also fit the D800 too tho, and now that it fits, I much prefer the less obtrusive design of the Hejnar.
But, in having then got the battery grip for the D800, if I only had a Markins type L-bracket, to have access to an L-bracket when using the battery grip, I'd have to repurchase an entire L-Bracket to suit.
With Hejnar's system(of removable upright section), I only need to acquire a much cheaper extension(about $40 as opposed to closer to $200).

Like I said tho, these L-Brackets are an acquired taste. They basically allow zero access to the side ports at all, but then again even tho the Markins type seems to allow access, the reality is that it's so difficult to do it properly, it amounts to zero access anyhow!

MM, if your happy to wait until a meetup date is set(and you can make it along), you're welcome to have a closer look at the differences between the two styles of L-Brackets I have. They should both fit onto your camera.

Cage
19-05-2014, 2:24pm
I'm looking at the same thing except I'm thinking Kirk instead of RRS. Kirk gear has much cheaper postage buying from
B & H.

During my search I came across this item, a Chinese knock-off of the Kirk/RRS bracket for $99.00 and free postage.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181219226606?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It doesn't look quite as robust as it's peers, but then it is only going to hold a weight directly above it.

What do you guys think about it?

davsv1
19-05-2014, 3:00pm
I've bought stuff from RRS on several occasions and had great service with speedy postage, usually within 1 week depending on the day you order. They use UPS postage services.

Quality products too!

arthurking83
19-05-2014, 6:08pm
Kev, the bracket you linked too is for use with a battery grip(on the D800).

They are different to the standard L-brackets and I'm sure that these fixed types won't fit a camera without a battery grip(hence the need for two if you don't use the grip).

As for quality of the Chinese stuff ... I've read from a couple of reputable sources now that they're not as bad as you'd think they are(if that means anything to you).

Never tried them with this sort of gear tho.
The main concern would simply be about the quality of the aluminium used.

The Heyjnar L-Bracket for use with a battery grip on a D800 would cost you about US$90-ish(his prices are in USD). Add to that freight costs(which I can't remember, but not exhorbitant).
If you do have the battery grip for the D800, I'd recommend a generic baseplate for the bracket. I ground mine down to fit both camera and grip(they're different enough to make a difference).

My only gripe with Heyjnars brackets is that he should also have designed in a slot, within the bracket, to store the necessary Allen Key.

If you do have a grip, is it a Nikon grip, or an aftermarket grip? If aftermarket, is it plastic or metal? If plastic, I recommend not to use an L-bracket on it(I wouldn't).

Cage
19-05-2014, 7:04pm
Thanks Arthur (I'm being very formal today :rolleyes:)

I have the genuine MB-D12 grip and want the L bracket to use with my lens that don't have a rotating tripod collar, which number four of the six I have. I seem to have developed a fondness for the Tamron 24-70, and swinging that, and the D800 + grip to 90°, creates a very unbalanced tripod or monopod.

I guess you get what you pay for, and the model I linked doesn't mention 6061T6 aluminium so it could be a worry, 115g V RRS @ 147g.

As I type this, I've answered my own question. For the sake of 100 bucks, do I want to put $4000.00 worth of gear at risk. Nope, I don't think so!

- - - Updated - - -

And good onya MM. :lol2:

I'll answer your original question, hopefully, in about a week.

Other than a couple of filters, I hope I'm now on the mend from my recent bout of GAS.

MissionMan
19-05-2014, 9:55pm
Thanks for the comments and responses everyone. One of the reasons I'm looking at RRS is for the same reason someone mentioned above, no point in spending a fortune on my body and lens and cutting costs on the L plate.

fess67
19-05-2014, 10:46pm
I bought a pano head, leveller and L bracket from RRS. Was here quickly and service was good.

With my L bracket I get full access to all ports on the side and can also remove the battery without having to remove the L plate.

MissionMan
19-05-2014, 10:51pm
Yeah, I also like the fact that RRS incorporate the lens point on the back of the l plate so you can align it to the tripod.

Morgo
21-05-2014, 8:44pm
I've had 4 orders with them recently and all have been pretty quick, even when the items that were listed as out of stock. Top notch gear, a little costly though.

Cris
21-05-2014, 9:40pm
I ordered a head and plates, the step up in quality is huge. I still get a kick out of using it. I found rrs easy to deal with and they do communicate quickly if you have any concerns.

Cage
26-05-2014, 11:41am
Ordered a D800 'L' bracket last Monday arvo. On my doorstep at 8am today.