PDA

View Full Version : Ae-l af-l af-on

OzzyDevil
18-05-2014, 11:31pm
I did a short course on Dslr on Saturday and loved it.. Anyway 1 subject was on AE and AF which I picked up and then forgot how to do it again.. Was on youtube and I came across AF-on which was something I never knew.. I got the hang of it so my question is should s newbie is should I just stick to the AE and AF lock button ? Or is it ok to use the AF-on instead ?..

And out of the 2 which is better to use and I sort of know how to use both of them..

Paul

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

arthurking83
19-05-2014, 10:01am
I've always though that the AE-L button was wasted space on almost any camera!
(the exception being that they should be compulsory on Auto only cameras!).

If you want AE-L for any given situation, simply switch to manual mode! Alternatively learn how to use exposure compensation.

All AE-L/AF-L buttons should be annihilated, cremated, and their ashes spread across this land, far and wide(with an ensuing dance of celebration to mark the passing of a pretty useless function button).

AF-On on the other hand ... should be made compulsory! No camera should leave the factory floor without one, or it being set to Off.

If I had my way, people wouldn't be allowed to purchase a higher end camera without first knowing how to use the AF-On button correctly either!
(I'd have them all purchasing and using P&S cameras, or smart phones)

OK, the serious answer now: set it to AF-On, practice it's usefulness and grow from there. Also, remember to stick to a single AF point that you determine is the best one to use.

OzzyDevil
19-05-2014, 12:07pm
I've always though that the AE-L button was wasted space on almost any camera!
(the exception being that they should be compulsory on Auto only cameras!).

If you want AE-L for any given situation, simply switch to manual mode! Alternatively learn how to use exposure compensation.

All AE-L/AF-L buttons should be annihilated, cremated, and their ashes spread across this land, far and wide(with an ensuing dance of celebration to mark the passing of a pretty useless function button).

AF-On on the other hand ... should be made compulsory! No camera should leave the factory floor without one, or it being set to Off.

If I had my way, people wouldn't be allowed to purchase a higher end camera without first knowing how to use the AF-On button correctly either!
(I'd have them all purchasing and using P&S cameras, or smart phones)

OK, the serious answer now: set it to AF-On, practice it's usefulness and grow from there. Also, remember to stick to a single AF point that you determine is the best one to use.

Yeah I have set it to AF-on and I like it more than half pressing the chatter speed.. Plus your press it once and as long as the subject doesn't move it stays in focus :) well I hope I'm right lol.. But I youtube it and they swear by it..

Paul

arthurking83
19-05-2014, 12:17pm
.... Plus your press it once and as long as the subject doesn't move it stays in focus :) well I hope I'm right lol.......

ps. you don't need to 'youtube' it .. just search here on AP for all the relevant info.

To be sure it works at it's best for ya, switch AF mode to AF-C .. not AF-S or AF-A.
(actually I don't know what AF-A mode will do with the AF-On button, but that's beside the point).

Focusing in this manner is best done in continuous AF mode, so that as you follow your subject, or line up the framing as you prefer it to be, you've already started focusing, keep focusing and then you're ready to shoot at any moment. Basically it helps with framing the scene to the nth degree.

OzzyDevil
19-05-2014, 12:27pm
ps. you don't need to 'youtube' it .. just search here on AP for all the relevant info.

To be sure it works at it's best for ya, switch AF mode to AF-C .. not AF-S or AF-A.
(actually I don't know what AF-A mode will do with the AF-On button, but that's beside the point).

Focusing in this manner is best done in continuous AF mode, so that as you follow your subject, or line up the framing as you prefer it to be, you've already started focusing, keep focusing and then you're ready to shoot at any moment. Basically it helps with framing the scene to the nth degree.

Yeah I have it in AF-C at least this way I can take stills or moving subjects :) I am slowly but surely taking better photos and I get more excited everythime I look at them..

Paul

bitsnpieces
19-05-2014, 6:40pm
AE-L - Is that the button which locks the Automatic Exposure, so you can recompose the image and not lose the exposure you've found? If so, that's really useful when in auto modes such as P, A/Av, S/Tv, and maybe the Auto modes (I don't know, never use them).

As much as we always talk about using Manual to do everything, there are still a lot of uses for the P, A, and S, as they can help simplify many things and do well for a number of situations.

I haven't tried AF-L yet, I'm guessing that's Auto Focus Lock? Something I need to figure out how to use on my a65 lol

OzzyDevil
19-05-2014, 6:53pm
Thx mate :) yeah I am trying some stuff out and the AF-on is working really good for me :)

Machiavelli
18-06-2015, 10:55am
Thanks for this topic! I knew literally nothing about it, or the benefits this technique can bring. I am definitely going to set it on my D5500 and give it a good play.

M.