PDA

View Full Version : Getting some practice in

KayceeB
16-05-2014, 7:03pm
Hi All,

So I haven't been on in a while and still trying to figure out how to upload my photos?

And I have a week off work so I will be spending a lot of my time around Port Stephens, Newcastle and the Hunter area. I may also be making a day trip to Barrington Tops.
Now I am currently doing a lot of trial and many errors with my beach shots. I really want to try and capture that smooth white wash and really get the most out of the beautiful area so any help, tips would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps at all my current equipment is a canon 600d, and I have two lenses at the moment, an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm. waiting on my tripod which should be in sometime next week. Oh and my only editing tools are the programs that came with camera for now will have a program in the next few weeks that I can then have a fiddle with.

Thanks in advance guys :)

bitsnpieces
16-05-2014, 11:32pm
Hi KayceeB,

For programs, unless you want to buy, GIMP is a nice free image editing software, otherwise most popular programs out there are Photoshop and Light Room.

For the nice white wash, you want a slow shutter anywhere between 1/4 to 4" (seconds) for example, are usual shutters I've seen (you can go longer or quicker, up to you).

But with a slow shutter like that, there's going to be a lot of light, so unless there's an overcast, dark day, or whatever, you'll need a neutral density filter, put on front of your lens, block out some light, that way the long exposure can then grab the right amount of light for the photo, rather than excess light and overexpose.

For uploading, what do you mean? Do you mean somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket?

Or do you mean posting images onto a forum post? If forum post, then while you are making a post, you see all the tools at the top. You'll see a big white/grey A, just under it, there is a globe with an infinity sign (link sign), one with a red cross, and next to it, a small portrait of a tree. Click that, click computer, browse for the image, click upload, done (or if the image is from a link you can copy paste in the link under URL).

Just make sure the maximum size of the photo is 1024 pixels, either width or height, and 250kb (so you'll need to use something that can compress the image quality to fit down to 250kb - Microsoft Office Picture Manager can do the shrinking, but not the compressing. So get GIMP, it'll do both for you)

I hope that's what you're looking for - good luck