PDA

View Full Version : Any cheap HSS speedlites for Sony?

bitsnpieces
14-05-2014, 3:00pm
I only just realised that the Yongnuo YN460-II doesn't have high speed sync for flash (wasn't something I was aware of during the time I first purchased the flashes, the need for HSS depending on the application).

So now I'm trying to find some HSS speedlites for my Sony a65, something cheap...

One thing though, I did manage to get the YN460-II to fire whilst under the HSS setting, but the camera doesn't seem to capture that light. Even if it's on the slow end, 1/320, where normally there'll be black lines, enabling HSS, the camera just didn't take it - no flash capture, just dark (the flash does fire though).
Any ideas if there's a way around this, because then at least I'll be able to get some form of HSS going... :rolleyes:

JJM
14-05-2014, 4:33pm
Are the YN-500 or YN-560 or YN-568 compatible with your Sony?

bitsnpieces
14-05-2014, 4:52pm
Don't know, will look now.

I'm guessing if it says EX in the model name, that's a HSS version?

When I tried looking, I wasn't sure.

Edit: It looks like only the Yongnuo YN 560 II has support for Sony, but HSS is only accessable via slave, and with a flash that has HSS or something...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1653552682/high-speed-sync-with-yn560-flash

I noticed another 3rd party branch, Quantaray, don't know how good they are though...

bitsnpieces
14-05-2014, 6:18pm
Well, with testing, I found I can put my popup flash onto HSS and trigger the YN460II that I have to fire, the only problem is, the camera catches nothing.

So, although the speedlite goes off, is it just because it doesn't natively support HSS, so the camera doesn't quite know how to make sure it catches the flash?

Mark L
14-05-2014, 9:13pm
...... the camera just didn't take it - no flash capture, just dark (the flash does fire though).
Any ideas if there's a way around this, ..

Get the flash closer to the subject or use a higher ISO?
HSS seems to have limited uses (am currently trying to learn this flash stuff).

Note the last sentence and thus why I suggest getting the flash closer to the subject;
"Auto FP (also called HSS flash) is an entirely different flash mode, where the flash is triggered repeatedly and rapidly (tens of thousands of times per second), so that it mimics being "on" like continuous light (like sunlight or a desk lamp is on continuously). Humans still see a "flash", but this continuous duration is on during the longer focal plane shutter travel time (which eliminates any shutter sync problem). To be able to be on continuously, it can only run at about 20% power level maximum."
Quote taken from here .... http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics2b.html
Some other interesting stuff from that site .... http://www.scantips.com/lights/

bitsnpieces
14-05-2014, 9:58pm
Thank you - will try tonight when I get home
But if it needs to be close to the subject like that, I don't think it'll be suitable for everyday use

I tested it in the bedroom.

Flash facing the wall, 50cm away, I'm another 50cm or so further away.

I tried with just my flash to know how the image will turn out, with HSS, 1/200 worked before I got black bars on the image

Tried with one speedlite, 1/250 was the quickest

So with the speedlite attached, any speed faster always got black bars and just black photos when too fast, so the flash that fired was never quick enough or something?

Tried remote, pretty much the same thing. However, I'm using and Ishoot remote, when the camera is in wireless HSS, firing at 1/320, it doesn't trigger the flash. So I guess its obvious since YN460-II doesn't have HSS.

Pop up flash triggers speedlite, once in HSS wireless mode, pop up flash only does the quick strobes, doesn't provide the final flash anymore, so speedlite doesn't get triggered.

So I try using my second speedlite on my camera to trigger the external slave, it works, but the end image is the same as though there wasn't an external flash. The camera for some reason doesn't pick up the extra flash, only the one onboard, and yes, I still have black bars at fast shutter, but it isn't brighter from the external flash.

So why is that? I would pressune, even if it doesn't support HSS, thus black bars, there's more light, I should have brighter images.

YN460-II has a slave mode which activates on preflash, or flash only. I try enabling preflash triggering, external doesn't go off still from thw tiny flashes from the pop up flash so I'm stumped on this too.

Sorry if my post doesn't make sense, sent via phone and it's awkward typing on this

bitsnpieces
14-05-2014, 11:20pm
Ah... I hate the 1 hour limit to edit:

Okay, anyways, basically what's going on is, the specifications on the YN460II doesn't list support for HSS, so I wouldn't be able to get a photo with flash at 1/1000 for example.

1/160 - 1/250 seems to be the max for these guys in sync.

I can bypass these limits when I put the flash on wireless mode, allowing me to bring the shutter speed faster than the speedlite max.

Now, flash goes off, camera captures it, but also captures the shutter closing, so I get the two vertical black bars.

Using the speedlite externally, my iShoot PT-04C doesn't trigger the flashes when using HSS mode, so the only way to get the flashes to fire is to put them on slave and use the popup flash. Works perfect, popup flash triggers the external flash, and captured image no longer has black bars, but, the image is taken as though there's no flash.

So the faster the shutter speed, the darker the image gets because there's no flash (even though the speedlite is firing). I've put it pretty much a rulers length from the wall, still nothing. Put it on full power, nothing. Pictures just get snapped as though there's no flash unit anywhere.

So without going into the technicals (as I'll read the article shortly - thank you Mark L), the question would be, how do I get past this limitation? Or this problem?
I'm on ADI Flash at the moment, and will test TTL after my shower... - maybe that was the answer... :confused013

Generally speaking, another who may have come across this before, or has an idea of how to get around this situation, please do let me know :)

Well, base on the quick read I've had of the introduction, further expounding on what you've already put in Mark, I guess I have to buy a proper flash that has HSS capabilities.

So it seems the YN560II is my only choice as it has a Sony version - but firstly, can anyone confirm this Yongnuo YN560II indeed has HSS support?
And are there perhaps any other 3rd party brands out there that may be cheaper? I noticed the Quantaray brand, still need to look into it, but if anyone else knows, would be awesome. :)