PDA

View Full Version : Faulty 70-200 Tamron!!!

danny
08-05-2014, 9:14pm
So I got a Tamron 70-200 around september of last year. I was (and still am) over the moon with it. I got it locally and was happy to reverse my usual trend of buying from HK because I got both great service and great price from Georges in Syndey. But then….. I got a new body and things started going wrong. The lens didn't focus at 200mm and also I was getting these error messages saying the lens didn't have a CPU. So I went back to Georges and explained the problem. They said "no hassles we'll send it back" now I started to worry! I knew the supplier was in WA and to get it there and back when I needed it in a couple of weeks was going to be a push, surely. The lovely lady at Georges said it usually takes a few weeks but she'll write urgent on the paper work and that should work. Well, you wouldn't believe it they got it to WA, fixed the problem and back in my hands within a week. Now that is service.

In the past I have been very vocal about the benefits of buying grey market but I have been left wondering what would have happened if I had got this lens from the usual grey market suppliers.

Gray market prices are great but can they really compete with this level of service?

bitsnpieces
08-05-2014, 9:46pm
I think there are some great gray market services; issue really just comes down to shipping - it's going to take time.

Where as here, everything is domestic, I'd expect this quality of service (difference being shipping is much easier and quicker).

But yes, I think sometimes biting the bullet does bring the important advantage of quicker service, warranty, confidence in your purchase, etc.

Cage
08-05-2014, 9:50pm
Glad you got it sorted Danny.

wmvaux
09-05-2014, 2:19am
Glad they looked after you.

I guess the thing with buying from overseas is you get it cheaper and hope you don't have any issues. Yes it's a risk as you don't have a place where you can take it to locally, but if you buy locally you will pay more in most cases, but know you can bring it back to them if you have any issues. I have bought most of my stuff online from OS and haven't had any issues and I've probably saved myself over $500 too which is basically a lens.

In the end it's a decision people need to weigh up and consider do they want the security of knowing they have someone to take it to if there is an issue or would they risk that to save some dollars???