PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Activated Shutter Triggers

sealhead
06-04-2014, 12:49pm
Hi all,

Has anyone had experience with a lightning activated shutter trigger as I would like to purchase one?
If so, your comments on brand, performance, cost and quality would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Regards, Tony

teylward
09-04-2014, 8:01am
I have heard of these. I haven't had a play with one. I have done lightning shots before and I tend to just open the shutter in bulb mode and close it after a couple of strikes, then open it back up for the next few strikes. It has worked pretty well for me and in my opinion, unless it was my main photography subject, I wouldn't buy one. That's only my opinion though.

sealhead
11-04-2014, 6:56am
Thanks Travis, bulb isn't an option in many situations for me though. I have my eye on one and I think I'll blow about $150 on it but will wait a few more months as storm season is over now.
I certainly will post the effectiveness of the device after I use it.

Mark L
12-04-2014, 8:25pm
Thanks Travis, bulb isn't an option in many situations for me though.
Why is that? Does your camera not have bulb option?
I also use bulb, though if your camera needs to make you use a long exposure instead, do that and cover the lens after the lightning has struck.
Triggers seem useful during daylight hours and if you're not around the camera when the lightning is happening? Wonder if that's right or not??

mpb
12-04-2014, 10:11pm
I have thought about them but never used them.
I use a remote shutter release the set exposure and focus on manual. I expose so that the background is exposed and the focus is near infinity. I then just keep shooting, making adjustments as required.
Results are something like this http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?94855-Lightning-Show exif attached. Most with 8 s exposure, small apeture and low ISO.

flashc
08-12-2018, 9:43pm
I see this original post asking about Lightning Triggers was back in 2014

Lightning triggers these days can probably detect lightning more efficiently in daylight and can also have a sound trigger and laser trigger function

Does anyone use these devices in 2018 and have any recommendations