PDA

View Full Version : First outing with the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC

Cage
30-03-2014, 9:15pm
Took the Tammy out to the Kurri Kurri Nostalgia Festival today. No no no, it's not a less than fond recollection of last night's Vindaloo. It's a 'Fifties' style shebang, cars, dancing and all that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I decided to put my less than steady hands to the test, and shoot everything hand-held. My initial feeling is that the lens is sharp, contrasty, and has good colour rendition. Did I mention 'sharp'.

As with all of these types of events, you take what you can get, composition wise, and do the best you can. The light was a mix of full sun and light cloudy shade.

The first shot is an iconic FJ Holden ute.

Ford Hot Rod

Mustang Motor

Rat Truck

All in all, pretty happy with the lens as it has given me confidence to shoot hand-held in situations that don't require critical sharpness.

njg02
30-03-2014, 9:18pm
Kevin. Lots of nice natural colour. Nice lens.
Neil

Cage
31-03-2014, 10:14am
Thanks for commenting Neil.

I think it's fair to say that it exceeded my expectations. A few times I thought something could do with a touch of unsharp mask, but when I looked at the shot at 100% there was really nothing needed.

Cheers

Kevin

Cage
31-03-2014, 11:49am
A bit off topic, and in no way associated with the lens, but was doing some more processing of yesterdays shots and found a 'dust bunny' which is noticeable on three of the above shots. Just tried the 'in camera' clean and the blower. No joy. It looks very much like another oil spot, bit disappointing as I only wet cleaned the sensor about 500 or 600 shots back. Oh well, I'll give it another wet clean and try not to leave behind any smears like I did last time.