PDA

View Full Version : Calibration help - Please!

danny
11-03-2014, 5:33pm
So, I've bought a Spyder Express and have ran the calibration successfully… however. I thought that this would mean that when I compare the image on the screen to photos that I have had printed that they would look the same. I could then re-edit the shots to look the way I want and re-print. But they don't. The image on the screen still looks exactly the way it did before. So does that mean that the image on the screen is now what will print or have I stuffed up the calibration? I am so confused. Can anyone help?

danny

Lance B
11-03-2014, 5:37pm
No, your screen should be reasonably accurate now. However, your printer may now need calibration.

I @ M
11-03-2014, 5:48pm
I could then re-edit the shots to look the way I want and re-print. But they don't. The image on the screen still looks exactly the way it did before.

As Lance said above, your monitor should display the correct colours but unless you set the printer to match you will not have success.

That is assuming that you are printing your own images on a desktop machine. If you are getting a "lab" to do them you will have to set the calibration to match their desired file submission standards specifications which are usually sRGB or adobe RGB

davsv1
11-03-2014, 6:50pm
Are you printing at home?
What printer are you using?
What paper are you using ?
And what inks are you using?
You'll need to make or get a profile for each paper you use and some people even re profile with a new ink cartridge.
What program are you using to print with, photoshop or something else?

danny
11-03-2014, 7:03pm
Sorry I should have mentioned some more info…

I got some photos printed at "Teds" the other day and they came out very dark and 'washed out' colour wise. I thought that it was because I have an uncalibrated monitor. So I got a calibrator thinking that when I calibrate the monitor what I would then see on my computer would be the same as I had printed, but alas if anything the image now appears brighter not darker like I was expecting. If I go and reprint them will they still turn out dark like they did before?

danny

cheers