PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at changing to an olympus em-1.

granthanson
22-02-2014, 11:52pm
So I'm getting sick of missing photo ops because I can't be bothered lugging around my heavy kit. How are people finding the em-1?

davsv1
23-02-2014, 11:32am
So I'm getting sick of missing photo ops because I can't be bothered lugging around my heavy kit. How are people finding the em-1?
I like mine and I have always used Olympus so it is easy for me to use, however, it can be a complicated camera because it is so customisable, you can custom set pretty well every button and dial (on the right side) so you have to be able to remember what you set and how you set it or just leave it as factory default. I guess all cameras are a little confusing to new users to a system.
If your hands a normal to large you would like the grip or at least a rrs bottom plate to give it a little more to hold on to, my little finger flaps free with out them. The grip also gives you an extra battery without too much extra weight or bulk. Battery life is about 4 hours continuous use be it 1200 photos 200 photos. It is weather and freeze proof ( with appropriate lens ) and the picture quality is as good as any modern camera. The EVF is great, took me no time to get used to it and for reviewing your shots it is second only to a computer screen.
The downside for me is only 1 sd card slot and focus is ok but not great with 4/3rds lens, with m4/3rds it is as good as any comparable camera DSLR or mirrorless.

Best thing for you to do is go to your local shop and handle one!
David

ameerat42
23-02-2014, 12:08pm
Hi Grant.
I see this is your first post, so welcome back to AP.

Well, I will have to ask: how do you expect to get good photo ops if you don't lug at least some of your "heavy kit" around?
So perhaps carry less of it.

What kit have you got? What types of photography are you interested in?

A bit of info might get more replies from more users here.
Am.

Mary Anne
23-02-2014, 7:16pm
Hello I am curious as to what Big Heavy Camera you are using now being your first post and having joined a few years back ?

So Welcome to AP..

I find my E-M1 camera very complicated coming from one of those Big Heavy Cameras, which I prefer.. It is taking a lot of hours of learning with all it's buttons.

Spent hours playing with it yesterday to find I pushed something I should not have, so had to Reset it again, then forgot to get into the Menu and set it up for RAW images again my fault. This camera speaks a different language from my Big Heavy Camera so I have to learn that also, though I am not one to give up so I will master it eventually, as I only bought it for walk around all day outings and have only had it for 4 weeks.

What I did not like was when shooting jpeg images the first time I used it on a days outing at Sea World I drained the fully recharge Battery at around 350 images taken over 4 hours during the 5-6 hour day I spent there, shooting with my BHC battery I get around 800 images now from my battery 4 years on so a big difference. I had no need to use flash though if you used that I wonder how many images you would take on the one fully recharged battery. I have two batteries though I feel two may not be enough for shooting for the entire day the way I do. And it takes hours to charge that small Battery where I can charge a BHC battery in around one hour so if you are going out shooting for the day and want a early start make sure you charge your Batteries the afternoon and evening before, as they dont advise you to leave the battery sitting in the charger once fully charged. I did not get a lot of keepers from this first outing most likely my fault, many of the images did not seem to be in focus and as I shot all day on Auto maybe that's to be expected.

Only one card slot does not worry me at all as it will take a lot of shots to fill up my 16GB card and I have another an 8GB card. Having written all that I do like the feel of it in my hands and will probably like it even more when I learn how to use it properly it does take great images if you get the focus spot on. It will never be my main camera while I can hand hold my Big Heavy Camera and heavy lenses

As David wrote above its a good as any of those other Brands of this camera type so go try one on for size and see how it fits..

bcys1961
23-02-2014, 9:13pm
Hi Grant ,
I have the EM-1 with the Zuiko 12-50mm Kit Lens. I graduated to this straight from a Sony Cybershot Point and Shoot so have never experienced a big heavy DSLR.

It was the functionality of a ILC camera in a small size that attracted me as I wanted to use it for travel photos . I'm having great fun with it. There are several good websites that discuss the setup . I think I spent the first few days just learning the menu system and how to customise it , beforetaking any photos! But in the end I did not customise much and I have not bothered with it now . It is worth doing though so you know what the camera can do.
I think image quality would be better with another lens but it is OK for my needs . The Kit lens has the macro made which is handy and does a good job.
I'm happy with it . It suits my needs . I can keep it around my neck all day , or throw it in my backpack and it is really no extra weight to carry around.
r,
Brad

swifty
24-02-2014, 6:42pm
Hi grant,
My opinions regarding the E-M1 stems largely from my experience owning and using an E-M5 but only playing with an E-M1 in store.
I've already written extensively on my E-M5 experience here:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?128453-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-User-Report

IMO the E-M1 is basically the bigger brother of the E-M1. Its dimension grows somewhat but so does its abilities.
Depending on your hand size, the larger native grip should provide a good hold (coming from DSLRs) whereas an E-M5 or E-M10 may require accessory grips.
Feature wise the E-M1 has either added to the E-M1 (eg. wifi) or improved on the existing (eg. C-AF and IBIS).
About the only thing that got worse I've read is the battery life. Can't really say exactly how much difference in real life since I've found the battery in my E-M5 to be temperamental depending on shooting conditions and I haven't had shooting experience with the E-M1.
But even in an E-M5 I'd recommend carrying a spare, so I'd extrapolate that advice to an E-M1.

So depending on what you're after, the E-M1 may be the solution. Are you replacing your DSLR altogether or just want a smaller alternative some of the time?

smashmonkey
15-03-2014, 10:09pm
I moved from a Canon 60d with 15-85mm to an E-M1 with the 12-40 pro lens and haven't looked back. significantly smaller and lighter I find myself using the camera more often. My small camera bag can fit the E-M1 with 12-40mm plus a 40-150mm and some filters, previously I could only fit the 60d and the 15-85mm.

I'd say the E-M1 image quality is better, and I get more keepers. As others have said it can be complex to configure but it also works out of the box. It's really up to you how much you want to configure it.

martycon
21-04-2014, 11:36pm
I believe that what many of us want is a "general purpose" camera with 95% ability of DSRL with an array of dedicated lenses and weighing less than 1kg. My wife tells me that I am always chasing moonbeams, whatever that is.

griffljg
04-05-2014, 9:55am
Hi Grant,

After my BIG DUMMY SPIT of late last year when I retired all my Olympus gear and replaced it with a Canon EOS 6D, a 24-105 lens and a 100-400 lens, I discovered the huge difference in low-light performance between the EOS 6D and my old Olympus E-3. For me, it really was a huge improvement.

But then I noticed that I wasn't carting my Canon around as much as I used to with my Olympus. I started missing quite a few of the the opportunistic shots that I used to love. I had also made the mistake of retiring the Olympus gear into my "museum" in my lounge room. I started to look longingly at my (now unused) compact Zuiko lenses... Until...... Oh what the hell!! - I went out and bought myself an Olympus OM-D E-M1 together with the 12-40 1:2.8 PRO lens and an MMF-3 4/3 adaptor. My credit card statement for last month was a shocker! ;-)

The E-M1 has now become my "take everywhere" camera, with the EOS 6D relegated to roles when I know I am going to be taking photos and especially where the light might be questionable or require a great dynamic range capability. Don't get me wrong. - The EOS 6D is a more competent camera and offers superior image quality in low lighting conditions. I also find it easier to use and, just for good measure, it fits into my hands more comfortably. But for ease of carrying around, the E-M1 has it beat without much loss of functionality.

The auto-focus on my old 4/3 lenses when using the E-M1 is fine during the day, but is not particularly good under low light conditions. Using the micro 4/3 12-40 lens, it is as good as, possibly even better, than that of the EOS 6D. Under decent lighting conditions, I struggle to see a difference in image quality.

From the work point of view (I am a civil engineer with responsibility for road operations for local government), I value a camera with GPS ability for geo-tagging my photos. Both cameras have this ability. - The E-M1 syncs with my iPhone 5S and the EOS 6D has GPS built in.

My advice? -> If your reason for getting an E-M1 is to use it as a "take everywhere" camera so that you do not miss opportunistic photographic opportunities, go for it! - You won't regret it! Just don't expect its low light capabilities to be as good those on current model DSLRs.

Nick Cliff
04-05-2014, 10:39pm
The thing about the Olympus micro 4/3 system is that it seems a lot of professional photographers go to system for family and outdoors while retaining their larger dslrs for studio or sports or very low light work.It is a system that has a steep learning curve initially however really rewarding with the epl-5 in my case especially if you may aspire to using older lenses and or lens speed boosters further down the track.The other thing is the longer native focal lengths 200mm or over may not perform to your expectations if you are a keen bird photographer and I understand some people find other systems telephoto lenses better however this doesnt worry me ,just something you may or may not of known,regards Nick.

Arg
08-05-2014, 12:19am
Hello I am curious as to what Big Heavy Camera you are using now being your first post and having joined a few years back ?

So Welcome to AP..

I find my E-M1 camera very complicated coming from one of those Big Heavy Cameras, which I prefer.. It is taking a lot of hours of learning with all it's buttons.

Spent hours playing with it yesterday to find I pushed something I should not have, so had to Reset it again, then forgot to get into the Menu and set it up for RAW images again my fault. This camera speaks a different language from my Big Heavy Camera so I have to learn that also, though I am not one to give up so I will master it eventually, as I only bought it for walk around all day outings and have only had it for 4 weeks.

What I did not like was when shooting jpeg images the first time I used it on a days outing at Sea World I drained the fully recharge Battery at around 350 images taken over 4 hours during the 5-6 hour day I spent there, shooting with my BHC battery I get around 800 images now from my battery 4 years on so a big difference. I had no need to use flash though if you used that I wonder how many images you would take on the one fully recharged battery. I have two batteries though I feel two may not be enough for shooting for the entire day the way I do. And it takes hours to charge that small Battery where I can charge a BHC battery in around one hour so if you are going out shooting for the day and want a early start make sure you charge your Batteries the afternoon and evening before, as they dont advise you to leave the battery sitting in the charger once fully charged. I did not get a lot of keepers from this first outing most likely my fault, many of the images did not seem to be in focus and as I shot all day on Auto maybe that's to be expected.

Only one card slot does not worry me at all as it will take a lot of shots to fill up my 16GB card and I have another an 8GB card. Having written all that I do like the feel of it in my hands and will probably like it even more when I learn how to use it properly it does take great images if you get the focus spot on. It will never be my main camera while I can hand hold my Big Heavy Camera and heavy lenses

As David wrote above its a good as any of those other Brands of this camera type so go try one on for size and see how it fits..

Hi Mary, that's quite a learning curve you are going through!

I went from Big Heavy Canon DSLR to Panasonic DSLM, and maybe that is a better migration path because of their better user interface, but while running two brands concurrently it will always be harder.

Batteries, yes I went from one all-day battery to 2 or three per day, but I don't have the slightest complaint about it. Pop 2 spares in the bag and gee, it takes about one second to change when needed. Do we complain bitterly about changing lenses once or twice a day? As for charging,... never had a hitch, it's so easy.

The top dog DSLM for today's buyer is probably the Panasonic GH4. You should not overlook this unit in your thoughts. Or even the GX7 I use, fantastic form factor and enthusiast capability.

Mary Anne
08-05-2014, 10:32am
Hello Yes It is indeed a big learning curve for me at this time in my life, though I will get there eventually.
I have three batteries now and I did not complain about changing the batteries it was about how they used the energy so fast and they do take ages to recharge.
There is only one more camera I will be buying in my life time and that another Canon APS-C camera to replace my ageing 40D.
And Thank You for taking the time to reply it was appreciated.

Moxi
03-02-2015, 3:17pm
Hi there,
I have recently changed from Nikon DSLR to Panasonic GX-7, and don't regret it--at least compared to the bulk and weight.
However I found the DSLR much simpler in use than the highly sophisticated micro4/3ds.
Re your choice the Oly--I did love the feel and handling of it but opted for the Pana because it has a build-in flash which I use quite often for fill-in or as master flash in wireless.
Cheers Moxi

Arg
06-02-2015, 12:07am
I have recently changed from Nikon DSLR to Panasonic GX-7, and don't regret it--at least compared to the bulk and weight.
However I found the DSLR much simpler in use than the highly sophisticated micro4/3ds.

I went from Canon DSLR to GX7, I know what you mean Moxi. Ask me any questions about the GX7, I will help where I can. :scrtch: