PDA

View Full Version : 'Show me' type learner finding it hard to wrap my head around...

Shelc1
14-02-2014, 11:26am
Is anyone else fining it difficult to find enough time to really get to know my camera.
Thinking I might need to find a locally run course or spend a few hours with someone a little more savvy than me to explain it.
Unfortunately I'm a real 'show me' type of learner.
Anyone got some ideas?:confused013

ricktas
14-02-2014, 11:38am
Firstly, I moved your thread from the Beginners CC forum as that is for posting photos to get critique on.

Looking for a beginners workshop might be of more benefit than a course. Spend a day or a weekend attending a workshop should be enough to get you kick started. The issue with a lot of beginners courses, run over several weeks, is that limited time means at each session means they often get bogged down in one or two particular discussions cause someone is at a different experience level to everyone else. A workshop generally has less people attending, more focus on practical usage and hands on help, rather than discussing different types of memory cards, software etc, that courses often end up doing.

The other thing is places like this.. Ausphotography.. Post more photos for CC, read the feedback and try again, using what you have been told. That is what AP exists for. To help every member get better! Use it..after all its the cheapest workshop/course you will find.

ameerat42
14-02-2014, 12:15pm
I was just on the phone and was thinking about this...
I guess you've been finding the NTP Library a bit confusing because of all the info there.
Try to look for specific info there rather than reading the whole lot at once.

Meantime, can you give some examples of what you find particularly puzzling. You said (elsewhere) you've previously had
Point-and-Shoot cameras, so basically everything was done automatically. You can use the Auto mode of your present camera
and get used to its handling (as a DSLR rather than a P&S). Eventually you can start to use other modes, like Manual.

Doing this, you will basically only have to compose - frame, zoom, etc - while the camera does focus and exposure.

Also, try to attend - or propose - a meetup in your area or nearby. Have a look at:

State Based Info (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?166-AP-State-Based-Information)

and

Member Meets (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?42-AP-Member-Meets)

Look up the info for Victoria in these pages.

If you do go through your user manual, try not to read about too much at once. Try to find an answer to some problem you have.
Lastly, ask questions here, but try to make them specific, like: "How do you set image stabilisation on for the D7100?" (OK, made that up.)

Am.

billy4030
14-02-2014, 1:24pm
Im not sure if I can plug this. I think Im out of my probationary period. But i downloaded and recommend. John Greengo fast start course from creative live. I got the one for my new Canon camera, so cant help you with the Nikon . I also got 'Fundamentals of Digital Photography 2013'. I see there is a 2014 version now.

Here is the link for the Nikon i think you have. If not you can search for it on their site.

http://www.creativelive.com/courses/nikon-d7100-dslr-fast-start

Fundamentals of Digital Photography a bit more expensive, but worth it. 5 full day recorded workshop.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Wayne

ameerat42
14-02-2014, 1:34pm
You sure can plug it, Wayne. It looks comprehensive, but dear-ish.

A Google search using "nikon d7100 tutorials" brought up quite a few. For the first one you have to
"subscribe". I didn't get past putting in my email address, though it appears to be to Google only.

This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXuhMgtEFkY) seemed to play, though.

Am.

oxygen45
15-02-2014, 9:23am
Youtube is great for this. I initially found it a lot more useful than reading. Once I had the basics going back to the manual and other written sources was a lot easier.

There is a lot of rubbish on youtube so be specific in your search. If you find a user that has posted a very good video the chances of them having more are high. There were several people with great series on the 60D, most bodies will be the same these days.

nicoleh
16-02-2014, 3:20am
I've only recently upgraded from my entry level camera and have found it useful to focus on particular skills in order to learn my camera. For instance I wanted to do a project that showed motion so I pulled out the book and read the section on shutter speed. Then I wanted to improve my composition so I read up on the section on changing the focus points. I'm still very much a beginner so I hope you'll forgive my lax terminology at times. The point is that I carried (and still do) the manual with me all the time, it's also handy having a copy on my iPad too. Pick a subject and pull it apart until you're happy you know what you're doing. This way - even if you have limited time you can still progress and build your knowledge. I try to stay patient, knowing I won't outgrow my camera - there's always things to learn.

Ive done workshops and a couple of 8 week TAFE courses and have found that the longer courses were really good for me to learn the camera and develop new skills because I could build on the questions I had from week to week and established a good relationship with the tutor.

landyvlad
27-03-2014, 3:45pm
I agree with oxygen45

You tube is great as long as you find quality clips. There is a bloke on there has done a heap of excellent videos for my camera a Lumix fz200
He's also written a book which he offers as a free download and is superior on every way to the useless Panasonic one.

I'm a kinaesthetic learner myself so I know how you feel.

WhoDo
27-03-2014, 7:10pm
Unfortunately I'm a real 'show me' type of learner.
Anyone got some ideas?:confused013
In the absence of any local offers of help, try the Nikon tutorials here: http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

I find they cover the basics rather well. Anything beyond that and you'll need to get out and practice with someone who's more experienced. When you have grasped the camera controls, then you can move into the great tutorials here (AP) and at sites like Cambridge in Colour (http://www.cambridgeincolour.com). Hope that helps. :th3:

Hawthy
27-03-2014, 9:31pm
I might get howled down here, but soon after buying my Nikon D5100 I bought an iPad app from Ken Rockwell that explained in very simple terms the menus, the settings, etc. specific to that model. I hardly look at it now but in terms of explaining what is where and how to access things it was invaluable at the time. Time spent with other photographers is probably more valuable. On my last holiday, I ran into a young bloke who prefers to spend his evenings doing slow shutter exposures on the headland near where he lives rather than going to the pub. He taught me a lot in the couple of hours I spent with him before I headed off to the pub. :)

danny
27-03-2014, 9:43pm
+1 for youtube. You will find many great tutorials on there from basic stuff to more complex/advance techniques and skills. Once you start you will find the people that you like and that are good 'teachers'. I have used youtube to not only learn new photographic skills but also to help me understand photoshop. I too am a real hands on / show me type of person. HOWEVER, can I also suggest perseverance in using the wonderful info on this site. Read things and re- read them with the camera in your hand and ask questions of people when you need it.