PDA

View Full Version : Yongnuo YN-560 II

wideangle
11-02-2014, 9:02pm
Looking for some help with a setup I want to achieve. I am using a Canon 7D and Canon 580EX II which I've been using off camera by triggering it optically through the popup camera flash. I have been looking at a Yongnuo YN-560 II and see it has the ability to be set to a slave and triggered optically. So can I use the Canon 58OEX and Yongnuo YN-560 II off camera on a stand so that they both trigger optically via the popup flash? At this stage I don't want to get radio remotes so am happy with this setup if it works. I only shoot flash manually so don't mind if the Youngnuo doesn't have ETTL options. Is there any justification in spending more and getting a Canon 480ex, or will this third party flash do what I want?

Mark L
11-02-2014, 9:20pm
I just got the 568EXII and it has slave and trigger options. Can't see why the YN-560 II wouldn't.
You can download the manual from here ... http://hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=293
Should have the answer there.

fillum
12-02-2014, 1:38am
I can only speak from the Nikon perspective...

I have some of the older YN-560 (I). (I don't know what the differences are between the first and II versions apart from the lcd on the II model). The YN-560 (I) can be triggered optically from another flash, although I almost went nuts trying to get them to sync. I use the camera popup flash to fire an off-camera SB-800 (using Nikon TLS - infrared), and the flash from the SB fires the YN-560's with the optical slave. The flash setting on the camera needs to be rear-curtain sync for them all to fire at the same time - I don't know if this also applies to Canon.

If no one chimes in with a definite answer in the meantime, I'll run a quick test tomorrow just triggering from the popup straight to the YN-560 (if I can find them :o)...

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

You are probably already aware, but one of the potential problems with optical triggering is that it might not work so well if you are trying to trigger in bright sunlight.

wideangle
12-02-2014, 2:39pm
Thanks for your reply, yes aware of the optical limitations due to sunlight/distance. Not sure about the Nikon system of setting up flash as opposed to Canon. Assuming that I should be able to trigger my Canon 580EX 2 from my popup flash and set the 580EX to "master" and then the 580ex flash going off will trigger the YoungNuo.

Judyd
13-02-2014, 8:15pm
I'm 99.9% sure that you should be right so long as the Yongnuo definitely can be fired optically. A number of friends and I get together and pool our different flashes every now and again. And a couple of us had to buy optical slave cells - once we had those we could mix and match flashes between us all.
Judy

wideangle
14-02-2014, 12:58pm
Thank Judy, yes I do think the Youngnuo can be fired optically, so with both Canon and Youngnuo flashes set to manual exposure should be an issue I hope when firing optically.

raysul
14-02-2014, 1:55pm
Hello I have the yongnuo YN-560II, I use it all the time, I have it set on a light stand with no radio triggers, mainly use it for rim lighting and have is set on slave mode (S1) so when it sees my main flash triggered the YN-560II will also get triggered. Hope this answers your question.

Ray

wideangle
14-02-2014, 3:31pm
Hello I have the yongnuo YN-560II, I use it all the time, I have it set on a light stand with no radio triggers, mainly use it for rim lighting and have is set on slave mode (S1) so when it sees my main flash triggered the YN-560II will also get triggered. Hope this answers your question.

Ray

Thats good to hear, I was wanting to find out if the pop-up flash could trigger both a YN-560V3 and a Canon 580EX 2 so they snync at the same time via the pop-up flash.

raysul
14-02-2014, 7:48pm
Thats good to hear, I was wanting to find out if the pop-up flash could trigger both a YN-560V3 and a Canon 580EX 2 so they snync at the same time via the pop-up flash.

Ok I have Canon 60D set up ready to go, with the built in flash pop up. I don't own a Canon 580ex but i have a Canon 480ex so with Canon 60d and Flash 480ex being optically triggered by pop-up and with Yn-560II set on a light stand in slave mode, and works fine. So yes with your canon 7D and canon 580ex combo triggered optically will fire of the YN-560II

Ray

wideangle
17-02-2014, 3:56pm
Ok I have Canon 60D set up ready to go, with the built in flash pop up. I don't own a Canon 580ex but i have a Canon 480ex so with Canon 60d and Flash 480ex being optically triggered by pop-up and with Yn-560II set on a light stand in slave mode, and works fine. So yes with your canon 7D and canon 580ex combo triggered optically will fire of the YN-560II

Ray

Thanking you!

bes
17-02-2014, 6:21pm
Sorry to hijack this thread but....

I have a canon 1100d and have ordered on ebay this Yongnuo yn-560 II fash. I am noob and am not sure how to fire the flash off camera apart from firing the onboard flash to optically trigger the yn-560. Can I run a cable from my camera to the flash? I am hoping I can run a cable from the remote plug under the side door to the flash but that's only guessing. I think the remote plug is 2.5mm because a standard 3.5 audio plug doesn't fit. I believe this flash uses a pc port plug. So will a 2.5mm to pc port cord get me out of trouble or do I need something to connect to the hot shoe?

Should I be thinkin' wireless trigger?

wideangle
17-02-2014, 8:34pm
Sorry to hijack this thread but....

I have a canon 1100d and have ordered on ebay this Yongnuo yn-560 II fash. I am noob and am not sure how to fire the flash off camera apart from firing the onboard flash to optically trigger the yn-560. Can I run a cable from my camera to the flash? I am hoping I can run a cable from the remote plug under the side door to the flash but that's only guessing. I think the remote plug is 2.5mm because a standard 3.5 audio plug doesn't fit. I believe this flash uses a pc port plug. So will a 2.5mm to pc port cord get me out of trouble or do I need something to connect to the hot shoe?

Should I be thinkin' wireless trigger?

Why not just fire the flash optically through your on camera flash, if you camera allows it.

bes
17-02-2014, 9:04pm
Why not just fire the flash optically through your on camera flash, if you camera allows it.

I was hoping to do some macro photography with this flash on camera with a homemade diffuser and off camera. Not sure if on board flash is good way to go for some macro shots.

I will have a play and see.

swoffa
01-03-2014, 9:37pm
Wireless triggers are beaut. Yongnuo make some called 622 and they are belters. Cheap compared to others on the market and work brilliantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wideangle
01-03-2014, 9:57pm
Wireless triggers are beaut. Yongnuo make some called 622 and they are belters. Cheap compared to others on the market and work brilliantly.

Yeah I've been looking at them, do you know if the triggers work on non youngnuo brands like the Canon 580ex3?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I've been looking at them, do you know if the triggers work on non youngnuo brands like the Canon 580ex3?

bes
03-03-2014, 11:26pm

They're nice triggers. I ended up getting the cheaper Yongnou RF-603c II triggers. The 622 are ttl while the 603 is dumb like the yn560 flash so I thought I would be wasting my money on the nicer ttl triggers, was I right? One cool thing is with the actually it's two cool things come to think of it, 1 the 603 comes a cord to allow remote shutter release and 2 This trigger also fires my old Pentax Sunpak flash so now I have 2 dumb flashes to play with if I optically fire the yn560.

One thing I don't know much about is HSS and if I would need a ttl trigger to set off a high speed sync capable flash if I bought one down the track. I believe if I have a HHS flash on top of the camera it could optically trigger the yn560 but I have no clue how to do that wirelessly???

Mark L
04-03-2014, 9:22pm
One thing I don't know much about is HSS and if I would need a ttl trigger to set off a high speed sync capable flash if I bought one down the track. I believe if I have a HHS flash on top of the camera it could optically trigger the yn560 but I have no clue how to do that wirelessly???

You probably won't need HSS to often with triggers.
In fact, as I'm learning this flash stuff, I'm starting to think HSS has rather limited use.
Was reading this today (yes it takes more than a few minutes and is the same for Canon) ....... http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics2b.html

wideangle
05-03-2014, 11:03pm

Ray

I am having issues with the YoungNuo3 flash firing optically through the Canon 7D flash. Sometimes it seems to be working but most times it doesn't. The flash is off camera on a stand on S1 mode. I can see the flash trigger through the light it emits but the photo is black. This happens no matter how close I put the flash, even on full power 1/1. I have the camera settings at iso200 f/8 so if it was working the subject would be totally lit by the flash, but its not working. Is it that the optical flash isn't syncing with the YoungNuo, even though it seems to trigger it?

wideangle
06-03-2014, 12:14am
I am having issues with the YoungNuo3 flash firing optically through the Canon 7D flash. Sometimes it seems to be working but most times it doesn't. The flash is off camera on a stand on S1 mode. I can see the flash trigger through the light it emits but the photo is black. This happens no matter how close I put the flash, even on full power 1/1. I have the camera settings at iso200 f/8 so if it was working the subject would be totally lit by the flash, but its not working. Is it that the optical flash isn't syncing with the YoungNuo, even though it seems to trigger it?

I did some further testing and found something interesting. I would have thought that with optical triggering that the external flash optical trigger (the flashing red optical part on the flash) would have to be facing the camera or at least bouncing off a wall to be recieved by the camera flash. So I put the off camera optical facing the camera, with the actual flash pointng at the subect. Only at f4 would the camera flash/young nuo flash sync with each other, and other f stop and it would not. Now the interesting part - when I turned the young nuo optical reciever away from the camera it triggered with any f stop I used. All shots were taken at 1/250th second so no natural lighting was used in this otherwise night lit room. My thoughts are that it highlights the hit and miss correct triggering with relying on optical triggering, whereas radio would be more reliable.

bes
06-03-2014, 1:14pm
You probably won't need HSS to often with triggers.
In fact, as I'm learning this flash stuff, I'm starting to think HSS has rather limited use.
Was reading this today (yes it takes more than a few minutes and is the same for Canon) ....... http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics2b.html

Thanks for that, it's a very good and thorough article. I didn't realise that a normal flash stops action better than hss flash... learn something every day.