PDA

View Full Version : Composite image processing in photoshop help please

ooooops0
28-01-2014, 9:12pm
Hi,
I'm into car photography and been looking at some members great car pics and many are composite images. I have been searching the net for an easy to understand tute on composites but still confused. Anyone got a simple tute on the matter?
I shoot in RAW with Canon 60D and need a start to finish process

thanks
jas

ricktas
28-01-2014, 10:02pm
I think what you need to learn is layers and layer masking. It is about placing images over the top of each other as separate layers then masking out the bits from each layer etc so that only the bits you want from each image (layer) end up in the final result. Using layers and masks is one of the major aspects of photoshop that allows you to combine several images into one, with only the bits you want from each image appearing in the final result.

As a beginner (your chosen experience level) using layers and masks is probably outside your editing skill level for now. You need to get the basics of photography and editing down first before you start looking at advanced stuff, otherwise you will just get frustrated. You need to learn about shadows/highlights, sharpening, cloning, levels adjustments etc first. Compositing several images into one can take hours even for the most advanced photoshop users.

fess67
28-01-2014, 10:58pm
I agree with Rick. Composites (decent ones anyway) are not easy to do and require a good knowledge of layers and masking, that is of course assuming you have photoshop or some similar editing software capable of layers and masking.

There are some good books out there that will help as well as tutorials. Many of the concepts will confuse you to start with but just keep at it until it clicks. Buy a photoshop book and try to learn from that first. I found Layers, by Matt Kloskowski to be a good book.

Warbler
29-01-2014, 8:58am
There's a million video tutorials out there on Youtube free of charge. Just be aware that some of the techniques you'll see are not "the definitive method". You can do the same thing many ways. I'd add blending to the layers and masks as being important.

ooooops0
29-01-2014, 11:19am
OK thanks for feedback.
I may hold off on the composite imaging for now, I just thought I'd give it a go.

Only been using photoshop a few months and just started using RAW which I am finding great for fine tuning images.

Taking photos itself is not really new for me, as been doing it for work for 5 years (but my training and style are very different to 'art' style photography). I have been using full manual settings on DSLR'S for 5 years and do a lot of timed exposures, paint with light, but with the intent to get a fully correctly exposed image and all in focus.

Its hard to use certain styles at work all day then come home and try to do 'artistic' style photos but I'm learning and find this site a big help.

Soon I'll start to post some of my first 'artistic' attempts to get help.

thanks