PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks through a window

Angella
25-01-2014, 12:40pm
I'd like advice on how best to shoot fireworks through a window. I have the opportunity to have a great vantage point to watch the Australia Day fireworks. Though the view will be spectacular from a high rise building there is no balcony available. I have been 'given a window' to set up at but am concerned that this will simply interfere with the shots. I will give it a go regardless and use it as a learning curve but any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Angella

ameerat42
25-01-2014, 2:21pm
Minimise reflections from the glass in the window.
(Case the joint well and see what angles you can get shots from.)
Do not have interior lights on.
Try not to become illuminated by external lights (even f-works).
Shoot at an angle to the glass so that your camera does not pick up reflections.
Am.

Mark L
25-01-2014, 7:43pm
As AM mentioned, have as little light behind you as possible to stop reflections on the glass. This can also be done from getting as close to the glass as possible.
If you don't have one, can you borrow a polarising filter? May be an easy way to take away any reflections.
Use a wideish f/stop if you can't get ride of a reflection on the glass.
I obviously think the inside reflection on the glass may be your biggest problem.

Angella
25-01-2014, 8:10pm
Thanks Am and Mark
Great advice.
Will see what I can do and will be happy to come away with even one good shot.
Much appreciated
Ang

Mark L
25-01-2014, 9:01pm
You better show us the three good photos you get.:D

Angella
25-01-2014, 9:19pm
You better show us the three good photos you get.:D

Hahaha, pressures on :D

Warbler
26-01-2014, 10:44am
Here's another tip. Don't wear light coloured clothing. Try black. You could even put a black sheet up behind you to reduce those reflections. I'd shoot perpendicular to the glass from very close to it. That should reduce any distortion as the window glass is not optical glass. Use manual focus set to infinity. Starting setting should be around 4 seconds at f8 at iso 100, and then change them from there as required. You could probably go even faster in shutter speed and higher in ISO. Test your exposure before the fireworks start to see if you've got a nice exposure of the foreground cityscape if you want to include that in your fireworks shots. You could use an intervalometer and mirror lock-up if you want to get right into it. The reason I suggest only 4 seconds is that you can combine shots to get more bursts in a single frame later, and you won't get as much smoke exposed in the shot either. Lucky you! Fireworks.... I doubt there'll be much of that here.

Not a great example, but pretty much the last time I got to shoot fireworks. The EXIF is intact.

Angella
26-01-2014, 4:58pm
Thanks Warbler, awesome tips.:th3:

Warbler
27-01-2014, 9:40am
Hope they were of some use to you. Post some up in the forum for us to see. No doubt the display in Perth was much bigger then we'd ever see here.

Angella
27-01-2014, 1:03pm
Big shout out and THANK YOU for the advice given. The office space I was in didn't allow me to turn off the lights - something about OHS. I ended up hiding between the window and a black blind and using a piece of black cardboard in an attempt to stop reflection. Not 100% happy with the 'good' shots but learnt a lot in the experience. Each of you gave me tips to improve how I went about it and once in practice I certainly understood the practicality of what you each said. Always learning, hopefully improving and have put up 3 (just for Mark) shots in night/astro.
thanks again
Ang

ameerat42
27-01-2014, 1:08pm
Well done in the circs, Ang. Now for the pics...
Am.:D

OK. Found them in your other thread.

Drivermann
07-04-2014, 8:13am
When shooting through a window using either a still (DSLR) or video camera I use a large black rubber lens hood. This allows me to position the camera with the lens hood touching the glass. Therefore there is no reflecyion on the glass in front of the lens.
Particularly with the video there is no noise transmitted from the rubber lens hood to the microphone either.

nimrodisease
07-04-2014, 7:36pm
Try a lens skirt! Made specifically for shooting out of windows..

http://www.lenskirt.com/