PDA

View Full Version : Tokina AF AT-X 300 PRO 300 mm F/2.8

wmvaux
04-01-2014, 1:55pm
Got the Tokina AF AT-X 300 PRO 300 mm F/2.8 yesterday and had a test this morning with the cat out the back on the fence.

Looking to use this for Golf/Sports photography and also Birds and Animals...etc I have a Kenko 1.4 Teleconverter which will make it a 420mm f4
It is quite heavy and will build my muscles. Sadly these can't be bought brand new any more, but I see it as a great entry point having a second hand lens as the equivalent Nikon or Canon would be worth thousands.
You can get one of these second hand for roughly $600-$1000 if your lucky. I was lucky as mine was owned by a professional photographer who only used it a few times, so It's like new :D

Sdison
04-01-2014, 3:09pm
Oooooh. That looks nice. It's a big boy though - you could do bicep curls with that thing!

Only looking ok my iphone but the shot looks nice and sharp. Look forward to seeing some of the sports shots with it.

wmvaux
04-01-2014, 3:15pm
Oooooh. That looks nice. It's a big boy though - you could do bicep curls with that thing!

Only looking ok my iphone but the shot looks nice and sharp. Look forward to seeing some of the sports shots with it.

Yes now I can finally say size matters :lol:

Lance B
04-01-2014, 3:27pm
Congrats! The results look great! :th3:

old dog
04-01-2014, 8:22pm
good on you for your good fortune. Nice bit of glass and I certainly look forward to seeing more of what it can do.

mongo
04-01-2014, 10:44pm
congrats. that is a lot of lens for the money. One of the series of 300 f2.8 ATX Tokinas has a stellar reputation. Mongo is not sure which model it is without looking up his records of stuff. The particular 300mm Tonkina Mongo is referring to had better MTF figures than the Nikon equivalent at the time of the original AF model Nikon.

An alternative could have been a Nikon 300mm f4 AFS which costs about the same, weighs about 1 kg less and gives really excellent results even wide open and with converters.

You will enjoy using this quality built Tokina lens. Look forward to seeing some more images.

wmvaux
17-03-2014, 12:15pm
Just posting some shots taken with this lens at the Water Skiing at Moomba, was fairly happy with the results.

Stoodoo
18-03-2014, 11:46pm
Nice shots there. Number 1 is my fave, with that wall of water curving behind the skier. Great lens by the looks of it. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one i think.