PDA

View Full Version : Road trip

Glenda
27-12-2013, 6:40am
Should have posted this earlier. We're heading off tomorrow and rough plan is to drive down the coast of NSW to around Port Macquarie - head west to see Western Plains Zoo then back up the inland route to Qld. No set schedule except we have to be back home by the 16th January. If anyone has any suggestions of 'must see' spots would love to hear them. It has been many years since we've travelled by road in this area.

mudman
27-12-2013, 12:15pm
if going to western plains zoo, go up to the Warrumbungles.
th Macquarie marshes should be good for birds and stuff too

Glenda
28-12-2013, 7:02am
Thanks Mudman - googled that area and will check it out.

mudman
28-12-2013, 9:36am
you could also go down to Parkes for the radio telescope. they are having their annual Elvis festival about the time you will be out that way too.
then onto Forbes there is Ben Hall's grave and much else. it's a great area out there

Mark L
29-12-2013, 11:20pm
.... go up to the Warrumbungles.

That's a good idea. You'll still see some of the effects of, and recovery from, the large fire that happened a year ago. Wonderful landscapes.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?119709-Siding-Spring-Obseratory-three-months-after-a-fire
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?119746-Plant-regrowth-after-fire

Mudgee is a little further south than Dubbo. Plenty of decent (dry) scenery and a spare bedroom if you need it.

mudman
30-12-2013, 3:27pm
Mudgee is a little further south than Dubbo. Plenty of decent (dry) scenery and a spare bedroom if you need it.
i'm on my way. an uncle had a farm at Merrygoan. great area

Glenda
12-01-2014, 7:28am
Did get to Parkes - didn't realise how close it was to Dubbo until we arrived. As for the Warrumbungles - well I now know what it feels like to be in a fan forced oven. The day we went was 40 deg with really strong winds. We had planned to shoot the observatory under a night sky but with the winds and high temp decided to give it a miss.

Damn Mark, you should have let me know earlier:). We were treating this as a recon trip, hubby retires later this year and we have certainly seen places we wish to revisit and spend more time in. And, think I'll pick autumn or spring for the western areas.