PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-3 SD card choice

davidbrewster
26-12-2013, 11:09pm
Recently became the proud owner of a K-3 and absolutely loving it – huge step up from the K-r which I have enjoyed for a few years.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with SD cards of different speeds in the K-3. Today I was taking quite a few shots at medium-speed continuous and found myself waiting a while for the RAW files to write to my card, which is a Sandisk Ultra. Completely understandable given the size of the files, and not a major concern, but wondering about what advantage there might be in using Extreme or even Extreme Pro cards. I don't mind spending the extra money on cards if they're going to give me better performance, but don't want to spend money for nothing.

Anyone with real world experience in this area?

Tman
27-12-2013, 1:43am
I have had my K3 since mid November and purchased 2 95mb/s Extreme Pro cards at the same time and the K3 flies along with these cards. At times I have also used 45mb/s Extreme cards ,these cards write quickly but they take longer to clear the buffer. My experience with these is shooting in RAW and RAW+ and as I never shoot only JPEG I cant confirm speeds doing so.
I hope this helps,
Glenn

Kym
28-12-2013, 9:19am
I have a 45Mbps 64Gb card -- its quite good, but from what has been said above and elsewhere the K-3 will use the 95Mbps !

Kym
29-12-2013, 8:49am
Got a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SD 95MB/s Class 10 SDXC Memory Card yesterday - big improvement over the good 45Mbps card!