PDA

View Full Version : First "real" photo sale

dacar
24-11-2013, 9:23am
Hi all. I am after some advice - a friend of my son saw one of my shots on Flickr and wants to buy a hi-res copy to make a big print as a gift.
How do I approach this?
My initial feeling is that I should make the print and provide that rahter than give away a digital (and infinitely reproducible) copy.
Whether I provide the print or the file, what do I charge?
Any feedback gratefully accepted.
David

ricktas
24-11-2013, 9:28am
I agree. Print yourself, once you have given to high res version away you lose control over your photo. If they baulk at that. Tell them the price for printed image and then triple that for provision of the actual high res file, make it worth your while if you do decide to give the high res to them.

geoffsta
26-11-2013, 6:46am
Depends on four things really.
1. Is the image one that could/would be used for any other purpose?
2. Is the friend reliable enough to trust to do the right thing?
3. Is photography something you see as a money making thing, or do you see it as purely an enjoyable hobby?
4. Is the gift going to someone that you also admire?

If you are going to give the image away, (explain it's a "one off" and only because it's a gift) ensure that on the image it has the copyright symbol and your name in the bottom right hand corner. And insist that it stays on the image. It only has to be small, but easily readable.
This way when people take a good look at the image, they will see your name. And then maybe they will think that they may want something similar, and then you could make a few bucks out of them.

This is where the thin line of being a fun hobby and money making out of it becomes rather blurred.
You can see that the money making side of it has already taken some of the fun out of it. And it's only a decision about a gift.

dacar
26-11-2013, 11:43am
Thanks Rick and Geoffsta for your advice.
This is purely a business deal. The buyer works with my son - I don't know her at all.
So if I get a print made, what else should I charge - a flat fee or a percentage of the processing & printing cost?

Redgum
04-12-2013, 9:46am
How about cost + 20%. i.e. (photo/shop + printing + postage = say $80 + $16 = $96). You can use the actual figures.
Remember, the value of your photographic work is in the eye of the beholder. If they reject the price you've charged too much. If you undercharge you've learned a lesson on how to negotiate.
No one here can suggest the right price nor a market price because each photo you take is unique.

dacar
09-12-2013, 9:29am
This is what I did:
The "client" works in graphic design where the company pays $80 for the use of a photo so she knows the cost of these things. I found prices for a 20 x 30" canvas print varying between $50 and $120. I told her to choose the quality & cost and I would organize the printing. She found a special price at Big W so I organized it all online and added $50 for my troubles. The print was to be picked up from her local store. I think we were both fairly happy with the arrangement.
Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my smartphone ... It's smarter than me!

Redgum
09-12-2013, 1:10pm
Sounds like a good deal with everyone happy.:)