PDA

View Full Version : Pics too big

shotquota
17-11-2013, 2:45pm
Hey all

I'm trying to upload some pics to the site, I've been shooting in RAW and when I try to Upload the pics for CC it says they are to big. They are roughly 15 - 20mb, I'm using a MAC, how do i compress them so I can upload them to the site?

Regards

Shot Quota

aussiephotographer
17-11-2013, 2:54pm
What software do you use?
First, lower the resolution a lot - I change the longest side to have 1024 pixels rather than whatever huge number your camera puts out.
Then, save as a jpeg with compression that brings the file size down. If you have photoshop, go to file, save for web and then play with the compression level until the file is around 200kb.

The other thing is that you can post slightly larger photos if you host them yourself. For example, create a free flickr account and host them there.

adro
17-11-2013, 2:56pm
This thread may help you.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14971-How-to-resize-photographs-for-the-Internet

ameerat42
17-11-2013, 5:21pm
They've asked/said it all. Let us know how you go.

shotquota
19-11-2013, 11:54pm
Hey all

Thanks for the replies! As I don't have PS or LR5 i have opted for getting a Flickr account. I'm in the process of setting it up and uploading all my pics. Onces that's done I'll hopefully be able to link it here and get some CC for my shots.

Much appreciated.

Regards

ShotQuota

arthurking83
20-11-2013, 7:33pm

Thanks for the replies! As I don't have PS or LR5 i have opted for getting a Flickr account. I'm in the process of setting it up and uploading all my pics. ......

Uploading all of your raw images? :confused:

if so, be prepared for either a long wait, or to possibly hit your monthly bandwidth limit.

There are many freely available free software types to convert your raw images to something more uploadable.
eg. for Nikon; use ViewNX2, for Canon; use DPP .. both free to download, and should have come on the disk that came with the camera.
I'm sure other manufacturers also have a free software available to convert raw files into other formats.

You're better off archiving/saving your raw files locally(usually best to multiple storage devices(USB or internal HDDs), convert those raw files on an as needed basis to jpg files, 1000pixels across is a usable/viewable size for most purposes, and with about 70-ish% quality setting .. netting in approximately 200-300Mb files.
Upload these converted images instead of your raw files.

the difference in uploading a 20Mb file, as opposed to a 200-300kb file doesn't really warrant the need for any discussion .. the advantages are fairly obvious.
BUT something to be aware of if you are uploading your raw files to flickr: if these images are available to the public to view/download, anyone that downloads those hi res files can produce much higher quality reproductions, then they otherwise would be able too if the public version of those images were lower res smaller files.
i.e. never give a would be thief the opportunity to steal any more than they otherwise could.