PDA

View Full Version : NTP book auto/ISO query

Drubbing
05-11-2013, 12:21am
I'm confused already by the book. It says to start taking pics in green/auto mode with an ISO of 400, but my camera won't do this. I've a Canon 700D and auto is that; fully auto. I can't change any setting, bar continuous shoot and self timer.

To set a fixed ISO, I have to go to Tv, Av, P or full manual.

jev
05-11-2013, 6:09am
Use 'P', that is the same thing (more or less). It allows the camera to automatically choose all three parameters: ISO, aperture and shutterspeed.

ricktas
05-11-2013, 6:17am
some cameras let you adjust things while in Auto. For example with Nikon, if in auto you get a P on the LCD and then you adjust the ISO you get P*. Some brands treat P (program) as A (Automatic). So whilst using the NTP you will have to make some adjustments to the way your interpret and use the guides due to brand differences.

We tried to make the NTP book as comprehensive as possible, without having to address all the quirks of the way differing brands work.

Kym
05-11-2013, 9:53am
PP 93 and 94 of the Manual, you can set a Max ISO in Auto to 400, which in effect locks the ISO :tog:

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0301090501.html

I think you can also set a specific speed even in Auto according to page 92

Drubbing
05-11-2013, 12:03pm
Thanks.

The manual is a little ambiguous in places, but it does say in all auto modes, ISO is set automatically.

I guess I'll use P.

Kym
05-11-2013, 2:34pm
Try it, set the camera on Auto and try setting the ISO, also try limiting the Auto ISO -- easy!

kwaal
09-11-2013, 1:54pm
Thanks for the question. I had wondered the same thing. P works - shutter speed and aperture are automatically set but ISO can be selected.
That's for the 600D...

Photographystudies
12-11-2013, 8:43pm
Maybe try setting it to either AV or TV mode then you can set what DOF or shutter speed you want to use and also control your ISO. I have a photography cheat sheet you may find useful. See below.