PDA

View Full Version : What has $5 bought me?

danny
19-10-2013, 3:20pm
I was at an old farm clearing sale last weekend (estate sale as those from the USA or UK would say). On one of the tables I saw an old camera. The only thing that rang any bells, when I looked it over, was the name "Carl Zeiss" which was stamped on the lens. Thinking I could use it as a 'prop' when doing family portraits I put in a bid of $5.... and walked away with it.

But then I got it home. Although dusty it seems to work (shutter anyway :o ).

After doing some research it seems to be a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex 1. And my $5 seems to be well under the going rate for even a busted version.

Has anyone got/had one? What have I bought, a paper weight or diamond in the ruff?

Cheers
Danny

ameerat42
19-10-2013, 3:51pm
I'd give it some tests:

1. Can it be cocked and fired?

2. If yes, open the back, and with the shutter speed set to B(ulb)
-look to see how clean/fungus free the lens is
-rotate the aperture dial to see it if works (freely enough)

Close it up and select each shutter setting in turn, from 1sec to about 1/30sec, firing off each time and listening to whether it sounds "close enough"
to what you might expect. Eg, at 1 sec it does NOT sound like 5 sec.

Lastly, buy a roll of film and put it through. Even just developing the negative should indicate how good it is.
Am.

farmer_rob
19-10-2013, 4:45pm
It seems to me that you might have scored a bargain.

danny
19-10-2013, 6:31pm
It seems to me that you might have scored a bargain.

That's what I am starting to think

agb
19-10-2013, 6:39pm
45mm f 2.8 Zeiss lens. If it is still in working condition that would make a nice camera fro b/w.

danny
19-10-2013, 8:24pm
45mm f 2.8 Zeiss lens. If it is still in working condition that would make a nice camera fro b/w.

I've been busy looking up where to get some bw film all day ;)

Danny

aussie girl
19-10-2013, 9:40pm
does anyone still sell film?? and does anywhere still process it???

danny
19-10-2013, 10:02pm

Yep, a quick search and it turns out that there are a few still selling and processing

agb
19-10-2013, 10:19pm

Quite a few members of my camera club shoot b/w film. They probably process it themselves. I know the enlarge and print in their own darkrooms.