PDA

View Full Version : Hosting recommendations please?

teaco
30-09-2013, 2:43pm
Hi all,

Having some big problems with hostpapa again. My account was suspended for 3 days for this specific problem, including email access of course. Their customer support team just didn't provide any support...they didn't even email me telling me they were suspending the account or telling me what the problem was. Turns out the problem was a backup file of the blog, which they said was 'unnecessary for the operation of the website', and therefore a violation of terms. Anyhow, this just another of the problems i've had with them, and one too many,.

Anyone got any recommendations for hosting companies?

Thanks, Peter

Warbler
30-09-2013, 3:30pm
Real support is a bit thin on the ground from my experience. I've just dumped three different hosts for similar reasons. If you are trying to get a god unlimited disc space host, stay away from Unlimited-Space.com whose accounts are not unlimited. They block your IP address when you're doing something as simple as using the FTP program they promote on their site. They also prevent you from running a full backup if you have a large account. So much for being unlimited. Dreamhost was another I used and had the same support problems where if the problem didn't fit their automated system, you were up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I was also with Netregistry before they stopped offering unlimited cPanel accounts. Now with Servage.net. Haven't been there long so can't give a recommendation. My website is around 80Gb at the moment.

ricktas
30-09-2013, 7:15pm
hostgator used to serve AP, and they offer a good deal for smaller sites. Once AP grew it became to big a site (several GB) and we were doing to much bandwidth for them. but for a smaller site, they offer a good reliable service

Redgum
01-10-2013, 11:22am
My website is around 80Gb at the moment.
Isn't that rather large - 80Gb? I'm not an expert but have a bit to do with Education Queensland site which is nowhere near that big.

Warbler
01-10-2013, 1:09pm
Isn't that rather large - 80Gb? I'm not an expert but have a bit to do with Education Queensland site which is nowhere near that big.

Couldn't care less what the education department site is like. I sell images on-line. Do they?

Redgum
01-10-2013, 1:29pm
They probably couldn't care less about your photos either but my question was "isn't that rather large?" I've got no idea - I don't need a website to sell my photos.

Warbler
01-10-2013, 1:41pm
The answer then is no, it's not. There are not many large jpg images in a Gb of data. I'm sure other photographers who photograph events and then sell on-line will have similarly large hosting requirements. The OP may not require large disc space either. Some do though.

ricktas
01-10-2013, 3:59pm
If you are going to host large files (1gb etc) then you also need to consider the bandwidth allocation that any hosting service offers. Some packages have limits of how much bandwidth you can use, and hosting companies quote bw as upload and download. Something else to consider.

teaco
01-10-2013, 7:01pm
Sorry should have added more detail. I don't sell photos online and bandwidth requirement low.

Will have a good read of your answers when i get home and check various companies out.

ricktas
01-10-2013, 7:16pm
hostgeek who sponsor our photo of the month might also be worth checking out

kanesmadness
02-10-2013, 11:07am
Ive been with Digital Pacific for years and not 1 problem yet. Their plans a pretty good and its all hosted in AUS

oldfart
03-10-2013, 6:33am
Depending on how much web traffic you generate most are just as well served by hosting web sites at home.
ADSL2+ is fast enough, and it has the added bonus of all your files being under your control.