PDA

View Full Version : Camera Suggestion Required

Minya
26-09-2013, 2:36pm
Hi all,

My name is Michael from the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne. I am interested in Portrait/nature-scenic photography but with so many camera's to choose from I am a little lost as I am a total beginner. A friend has suggested that the 'glass' of the camera is important. He has suggested I look at the Cannon G1X. Whilst at the camera shop I was also shown the Sony NEX-3N.

I really liked the image of the 3N but also notice there was no viewfinder. It was only digital.

I am really looking for some suggestion about the above, and at this stage of photography how concerned do I have to be about Aperture and also not having a viewfinder if suggestions point me to choose Sony NEX 3N.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Regards
Michael.

rookie
26-09-2013, 2:48pm
I myself would not have a camera without a viewfinder.Sometimes you cant see what your taking from sun glare

I @ M
26-09-2013, 3:11pm
Hi all,

G'day Michael.

I am interested in Portrait/nature-scenic photography but with so many camera's to choose from I am a little lost as I am a total beginner. A friend has suggested that the 'glass' of the camera is important.

As a beginner the first advice I think you need is to slow down and not rush into any decision without plenty of research and asking advice is a good idea. Your friend has offered sound advice when he says lenses are important but before you are able to take full advantage of either a camera or lenses to their fullest you need to learn quite a few basics beforehand it seems. :)

I really liked the image of the 3N but also notice there was no viewfinder. It was only digital.

EVFs ( electronic viewfinder / digital ) are getting much better with each new camera these days the same way that the rear screens offer very good resolution and usability but they still have significant draw backs in some areas. They can be hard to use in bright sunlight ( landscape or outdoor photography in general ) and they tend to "lag" when moving subjects are involved. On the other hand, live view or "the rear screen" can be extremely useful for both portraits and landscapes when used on a tripod. I have been using live view a lot in a studio lately.

I am really looking for some suggestion about the above, and at this stage of photography how concerned do I have to be about Aperture and also not having a viewfinder if suggestions point me to choose Sony NEX 3N.

Yes, you do have to be concerned about aperture, it is one of THE fundamental parts of both portrait and landscape photography. :)

Minya
26-09-2013, 4:09pm
Thanks to all that have replied so far :) I have done some theoretical research on Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed but I tend to learn by doing. As far as a camera brand/combo advice on a good camera for beginners would really help, more from a comparative point and informed decision perspective.

Regards
Michael.

Granville
26-09-2013, 5:44pm
You can learn to take photographs with any camera, provided it addresses the fundamentals of what makes up good photography. I am still relatively new to the craft but what I know about photography exceeds what I have practised at photography. This is more due to opportunity than anything else, but while using rare opportunities I have still learned a lot about it.

I bought a Nikon D3100. It only does 3 fps in burst mode, and has a smaller density sensor than most, as well as a smaller sensor. It has smaller and slower most things than more expensive cameras. I regard it as entry level but I also know it will be far from my last camera.

What it does give me though is the ability to do most things that I need to to learn how to take good photographs. I can adjust the shutter, aperture,ISO triangle. I can work on my Depth of Field skills. I can pan. I can use different lenses and filters. I can adjust certain parameters in-camera. I can take photographs in RAW mode for later PP. I can try astro photography. I can use a remote shutter. I can use a good intelligent flash. I can do lots of things. See where I'm going with this?

All the things I can do with it allow me to develop skills that I will use with a more expensive camera later on.

So don't sweat about which camera so much as what you can learn when using the finally chosen. It will be your first, not your last, but as your first it needs to be able to do most things that people discuss on this site that allow you to adjust photographs and get good at them. It won't do all the things people discuss, and it won't necessarily do them fast. But it needs to be versatile.

nimrodisease
27-09-2013, 8:28am
Hi Michael, do you have a budget in mind? That will really effect any recommendations.

The Sony NEX models are great cameras; my wife has an NEX-5N and it really has some bang for buck.

There are only three real disadvantages with the 'mirrorless' systems such as the NEX, when compared to an entry level DSLR:
1. Some of the controls may be harder to get to (simply due to the size of the camera, you may have to trope through menus rather than having a physical button)
2. The lack of an optical viewfinder (some people don't mind this, but I do prefer to use an optical viewfinder)
3. There are a lot fewer lenses available on mirrorless systems at this time (however as a beginner this probably won't bother you..)

However there is also a BIG advantage with mirrorless, which is the size factor.. if you are more likely to take the smaller camera with you, then it's probably better to get the smaller camera.

Minya
28-09-2013, 2:25pm
Thanks to all those that have replied. A friend of mine has some Canon Lenses I can use which brings down the cost as I just need to buy the body.

Mary Anne
28-09-2013, 3:57pm
You should buy yourself at least one lens the nifty-fifty is cheap, what happens if the friend is not home the day to want to use your camera ?
I could not image asking someone to borrow a lens every time I wanted to use my camera as so far today its been seven times, plenty of Birds around..
Also have a look at the entry level cameras with the kit lens they are good if you are on a budget..

chappo1
28-09-2013, 6:51pm
My bias up front.... I am an old (in both sense of the word) Minolta person so now shoot Sony ( who bought out Minolta.)
I stayed with the A700 which has an optical viewfinder for years but finally bought the full frame A99 with Electronic viewfinder and now WOULD NEVER GO BACK. The advantages far outweigh the perceived disadvantages in my opinion. OK Bias disclosed now for the things to consider

Do you want a DSLR or a smaller body such as the NEX you were looking at?
Is size and weight a consideration. Do you want to carry the camera in your pocket or take a suitcase full of gear .
Brand- once you choose a brand and buy some lenses they will not fit other brands. You mention if you go Canon then you can borrow lenses. This may be a reason to think about Canon.
What is your principal interest- landscape/still life/street photography/wildlife. This will influence the lenses you need but you can start with one all purpose lens.

Do not just listen to camera store sales folk -ask around with your friends, visit a photography club and talk to members, stop photographers in the street ans ask about their gear and why they have what they have.
Take your time.

john

Mark L
28-09-2013, 11:11pm
I like using a DSLR. I like the feel of something in my large hands. Controlling various settings is easier with the buttons and dials.
You have access to Canon lens.
Photographing what, where and your budget?

hightone
01-10-2013, 11:09am
I agree with Mary Anne that you should have your own lenses, maybe you can start using your friends, eventually, it is still better to own yours. you can get your camera with Kit lens 1st. Also you sure you want to lugged around the bulky DSLR or you prefer to keep a small compact or mirrorless camera in your bag?

Minya
03-10-2013, 3:37pm
Hi Hightone & Mary Anne

I don't mind carrying a larger DSLR. I have ordered the Canon EOS 700D for ~$600 and will be buying the kit lens from my friend. I have also 'borrowed' my friends EOS 650D and am using the various modes already and getting used to the functionality of the camera, but at the moment sticking to general settings until I get comfortable. I might also consider doing a 1 day camera workshop.

Also, Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. This is a great place to learn and appreciate all you help.

Regards
Michael

*your post has been edited to remove promotion of commercial businesses- please read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7*

Mark L
03-10-2013, 11:27pm
Good on you and thanks for the update.

I might also consider doing a 1 day camera workshop.

So long as it don't cost to much. Read the cameras manual. It won't sink in first time around but it gives you an idea and is easier to come back to as you learn. There's the Canon threads that it's free to ask any question (how do I make my camera do ....., can my camera do ....?) ........ http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Canon

Also may be worth slowly working through some of this free course ... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book
Takes longer to learn about how to take good photos than how to use your camera.;)
Don't be afraid to join in, post photos, ask questions and offer comment to others. 'tis how we all learn.

CapnBloodbeard
07-10-2013, 4:33pm
Hi Hightone & Mary Anne

I don't mind carrying a larger DSLR. I have ordered the Canon EOS 700D for ~$600 and will be buying the kit lens from my friend. I have also 'borrowed' my friends EOS 650D and am using the various modes already and getting used to the functionality of the camera, but at the moment sticking to general settings until I get comfortable. I might also consider doing a 1 day camera workshop.

Also, Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. This is a great place to learn and appreciate all you help.

Regards
Michael

*your post has been edited to remove promotion of commercial businesses- please read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7*

Good stuff. Have a look at the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. You should be able to pick it up for $150-180. The wide aperture means you'll get quite a bit of background blur, which you'll enjoy for portraiture. Good place to start before upgrading to something with a longer focal length.

Don't forget to ask on here for your questions, and post photos on here for either constructive criticism and/or technical advice. We can even suggest a few experiments to get used to the impact of aperture/shutter/ISO

William W
12-10-2013, 12:46pm
Once you get the 700D and the "Kit Lens" (I assume it is one of the EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6 models), then I suggest that you resist the urge to buy ANYTHING for a couple of months until you get your knowledge and skills up to the standard that you are asking useful questions and knowing why you are asking them.

It will be at this stage in your learning and your experience, where it will begin to become more apparent what your specific interests are and also what limitations (if any) the gear is placing on you.

WW

Jcas
12-10-2013, 3:47pm
I have a friend with the 700D and they are very impressed with it, good choice .. :)

ameerat42
12-10-2013, 9:53pm
Sage advice from William W.

Minya
13-10-2013, 4:57pm
Hey William W, Ameerat & All,

I now have the body of the 700D and a friend has offered me a lens 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 and I didn't buy a kit lens (as such)

I am eager to start shooting but at the same time I know I need to learn the basics. So now I have a dilema to choose fixed ninety-fifty lens or buy 18-55mm. An earlier post by marianne suggest this but has anyone else got different views and opinions.

For those that have not been following this thread I am primarily interested in portrait/landscape-nature photography.

At the moment I am also trying to find groups in Melbourne or classes to really understand the basics and move on from there.

Look forward to your reply. :)

Regards
Minya

Mary Anne
13-10-2013, 7:07pm
The nifty nifty is a great little lens and so light you would never know you had it on your camera and its a prime so you have to move back and forth.
The 18-270 mm is a Telephoto zoom lens and opens wider so you get a lot more in your frame especially for landscapes and the lens moves back and forth not you.
And at the longer end it will bring your subject much closer to you if your wanted to shoot Birds for instance..
Why is your friend selling you this lens, unhappy with it ? Best you get one lens you will be happy with and shoot with it till you learn enough.
Perhaps the 18-55mm lens as your walk around lens for now, lets see what other Members suggest.

I suggested the nifty fifty because it was a budget priced lens, when you wrote that you were going to borrow your friends lenses
Though looking on line you can get the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for $115 delivered that's even cheaper than the nifty fifty.

William W
13-10-2013, 7:45pm
I now have the body of the 700D and a friend has offered me a lens 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 and I didn't buy a kit lens (as such).

The friend has “offered the lens to you” or “has offered to sell the lens to you”?
What lens, specifically?
The TAMRON?
If, the Tamron - WHICH ONE, specifically?

Thanks,

WW

Minya
15-10-2013, 12:21pm
Hi WW,

The Tamron lens specs are: Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Lens

Regards
Minya

William W
16-10-2013, 8:59am
Thanks.

I understand that this is the newer version of this lens - signified by "PZD". I understand that the lens has a good reputation although I have not used it. If this lens is being offered to you at no cost, then I suggest that you take it.

Of course if the lens is being offered to you for sale; then that is a different matter - it really depends how much the user wants to sell it for and how much you can do with that money if you otherwise put it towards a new lens - or eventually towards two news lenses.

One consideration that you should make is that this Tamron Lens is "Superzoom" lens - that is neither good nor bad: but, it does mean that there are compromises in the design and the functionality.

As a direct comparison - Canon make two very low cost zoom lenses EF-S 18 to 55F/3.5~5.6 IS and EF-S 55 to 250 F/4~5.6 IS. These lenses are often bought together as a kit with a new camera and many Photographers use none other than these two lenses: one of my Students has a kit which comprises an EOS 400D and these two lenses, with one prime added to it (EF35/2) - and that kit is very handy - she creamed the NSW HSC Art Exam with a Band 6 and her Major work was selected for Display - subsequently she has shot a few jobs for money and has entered several competitions with good to very good results.

The point I am making is - the Canon "EF-S Kit Lenses" present very good value for money and can produce very good quality work. The Tamron Lens is a good lens also, but if it is being offered to you second hand and at a price that is equivalent to or amore than the price of the EF-S 18 to 55 F/3.5~5.6 IS lens new - then, even though the Tamron has a greater zoom compass, I suggest that you think closely about how you want to spend your money.

The overall general advice I would give to you is to NOT spend a lot of money on this first lens - as already mentioned a new 18 to 55 can be got for just over $100 - and my advice is to get either it or the Tamron 18 to 270 but to spend only about $100 on which ever you choose and then take a lot of Photographs and learn a lot and ask a lot of questions and then you will better know where you should spend your money - and even IF you need to spend it on other lenses.

WW