PDA

View Full Version : Wireless shutter release

arnica
21-09-2013, 8:13pm
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a wireless shutter release for my D800. Does anyone have any they can recommend? I'm looking for 3rd party because I can't justify spending that much on a Nikon branded one.

ricktas
22-09-2013, 7:02am
have a look at these from our site advertiser:

http://www.fotogenic.com.au/Photographic_Accessories/Remote-Timers

http://www.hypop.com.au/accessories/shutter-trigger.html

http://www.protog.com.au/shop/remote-shutter-release/35

arthurking83
22-09-2013, 12:12pm
I've been using the Phottix releases for a few years now.

Initially I got the older model Cleon, which had a fixed cable from the receiver module which was a Nikon 10 pin plug end .. so I could only use it on the D300.

I then got the Plato which has user replaceable cables, so you can use them on any camera brand model .. and whatever you get, this is the better option.

I prefer the Plato over the Cleon only because it has a nicer feel to it overall and the Cleon uses weirder, harder to find batteries in the receiver module(CR2's).

I hacked the Cleon and added a replaceable cable end so that I could adapt it to any other camera type if need be, but more importantly so that I could also use a typical 2.5mm audio jack end if need be too.
For me this is important as I like to use my bluetooth module(for GPS) a lot, and it has a 2.5mm remote plug connection.
So the bluetooth unit plugs into the 10pin port on the camera, and the receiver for the remote plugs into the 2.5mm port on the bluetooth unit.

I'd recommend Phottix, as mine have had a fair amount of use over the years(less so in the past year or so) ... but never caused me any problems .... other than the hard to get CR2 batteries for the Cleon.

But all those remotes in the links Rick has provided look to be either similar or the same anyhow ... so my guess is that many are made in the one factory in China and rebranded to suit.

I @ M
22-09-2013, 2:15pm
From personal experience the Yongnuo RF602 triggers work well.
They give you remote shutter release and the ability to transform into an of camera speedlight trigger ( manual flash control only and synch limit of about 1/160 ) or a remote monobloc trigger simply by changing the supplied cords. They use AAA batteries in the receiver and a commonly available CR2 in the transmitter. Rechargeable AAAs last a long time between top ups and I think I have replaced the CR2s in the triggers about twice in 5 years and they have had a lot of use here.

ryanbarlin
23-09-2013, 8:36pm
I have the Yongnuo RF603. (The canon model)
They're like the RF602, except they use AAA for both the receiver and the triggers. The triggers and receivers on this model are exactly the same, so if you do flash stuff you've got another free receiver if you buy 3.

So far so good, I'd check around though. I watched a few reviews on youtube first.

arnica
23-09-2013, 8:40pm
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Having the luxury of setting off the shutter (from a distance) without having to rush to the place within the frame would be great. It all comes down to price and functionality and range(of course)