PDA

View Full Version : Offered first photographic job

wmphoto
17-09-2013, 11:19am
I'm lucky enough to be in a position where about 8 weeks ago I gave up full time work to pursue my photography as a career. I got sick of going "through the motions" with my work (an industry I had been in for 20 years) and it was time to do something that I enjoy.

Well, it has paid off and I have just been offered my first contract. It is for 6 weeks as photographic team leader for Santa photography up until Xmas. Sure it isn't glamorous, but it is paid photography work. The other benefit is the company I will be working for also do event photography, so I'm hoping that this might lead to other more "glamorous" work.

It's a pretty big deal for me given the risk I took to give up work, so I couldn't be happier. :D:D:D

William
17-09-2013, 12:03pm
Well done Warren, No wonder your happy :th3:

freelancer
17-09-2013, 1:01pm
Congratulations, what will you be doing ?
Jon

Granville
17-09-2013, 1:10pm
That's great Warren. I imagine that those who are in the job know how hard it is to get in the job . Excellent.

wmphoto
17-09-2013, 1:13pm
Thanks William - very happy.

Cheers Jon - Basically the photography roles themselves are quite simple, in a studio with conditions that don't change much. My role will be supervising the photographers and their work to ensure the quality is there and that if they change settings or doing something wrong, I can correct it. I will also step in as photographer if someone is off sick.

Thanks Granville - yes it takes time, but I have the confidence in myself.

freelancer
17-09-2013, 1:40pm
Sounds great but also a little scary. All the best with and look forward to hearing how it goes.
Jon

Pixley
17-09-2013, 2:18pm
Congratulations Warren great first step. Have fun! :)

Mary Anne
17-09-2013, 3:15pm
That's Fantastic.. Well Done!! and all the best :2encou:

chappo1
17-09-2013, 3:19pm
Congratulations, sounds like a good start...john

wmphoto
17-09-2013, 9:37pm
Thanks Pixley, Mary Anne and John. Baby steps towards a new career I hope :tog:

FallingHorse
17-09-2013, 10:53pm
Go get 'em Warren :)

Ms Monny
17-09-2013, 11:13pm
Fantastic!!! As the youth are saying today.... YOLO!!! (you only live once) :D I think it is great to pursue a dream and to get off the spinning wheel. All the best for the future. :th3:

ricktas
18-09-2013, 6:11am
Congratulations. Hope the new career path provides you with both the money and the enjoyment to make it a life long one.

Retro
18-09-2013, 10:09am
Congratulations and well done Warren! Look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

Mark L
18-09-2013, 8:57pm
YOLO indeed (i feel younger already :))
Good on you for taking a risk. A the best for that foot in the door.

fenderstrat1963
23-09-2013, 3:39pm
Congratulations Warren! It's always good to hear about transitions like that - well done for taking a chance and having it come out well :D

Steve

pearson
02-10-2013, 8:47pm
Great news Warren! Gutsy of you to quit work to chase your dream, I hope you have great success!

Stingray
03-10-2013, 8:19am
Congrats Warren

Good luck with it all :)

Have been procrastinating a lot myself, for years - LOL - about "should I do Photog for work"

hightone
07-10-2013, 2:30pm
Congratulations and all the best. :)

Kel
07-10-2013, 2:45pm
Well done I hope it all works out for you good luck

wmphoto
18-11-2013, 9:56pm
Just a quick update on the job... long hours and busy and the days are going to get longer. From next week 10hr days Mon-Thur with 12hrs on Fridays and 8hrs Saturday, 5.5 on Sundays. Then 2 weeks after that it is 12.5hrs / day Mon - Fri with the same weekend hours until Xmas.

So if you are thinking of taking up photography as a profession, try something like this and you will soon realise that there is a difference in photography for work v's hobby. That being said, I am really enjoying the work and have picked up a lot of good information from both the company I'm working for and the tog's I am supervising.

Mary Anne
18-11-2013, 10:17pm
Good to read that you like the job and everything is going well for you.. :2encou:

wmphoto
30-12-2013, 2:29pm
Well the job is done and dusted for the year. All I can say is that it is like most work based on customer service, management, supervision, etc. but with photography involved. Long hours, customer complaints, "photographers" who needed to be told almost every day how to compose a photo properly and what settings to use :rolleyes:

Summary - if you are looking for experience in photography, go for it. More experienced users I think you may not get the satisfaction you may require. Would I do it again? At this stage no. With the long hours and working every weekend your social life ceases to exist at a time of year when everyone is having their Xmas parties.

Now for my next job... I've started my own photography business (more to come on that) :th3:

luckyforteja
03-01-2014, 5:19pm
Congratulations Warren!