PDA

View Full Version : Lens Choice Help.

BabySwine
11-09-2013, 2:05pm
I am so confused. I own a pentax K5 and love my Pentax 50mm prime so much, I hate to take it off for my kit zoom. I am struggling with it though as I find 50 too big for general portrait work, indoor family and looking over the top of babies. I have a few jobs coming up birthography, baby bump, families etc. so would I be happy with a fast zoom for example the 24-50 ranges of sigma/tamron (pentax out of price range). or should I just grab a cheap pentax 35mm for now and wait for the new sigma 18-35 1.8 Art lens to come out in pentax k mount????
Please Help.

Mistfox
14-10-2013, 3:02pm
Hi, did you make a decision I have the same sort of question?

Wendy

BabySwine
15-10-2013, 10:00am
It is very hard wendy, reviews are not good, my K5 has a mirror flipping issue which I will be sending in to get fixed soon, before I buy a new lens. I have talked to Kym on here who says he is happy with his Tamron 28-75 2.8, which is about all I can afford (well all my husband and children allow me to spend on my hobby!!)
I have been doing a lot of families and indoors and have found the 50mm on an APS-c sensor too big.
Whats your thoughts?

Mistfox
22-10-2013, 3:22pm
It is a hard question, I have found the 50mm a bit to big indoors, but the 30mm seems to wide some times, which is why I was looking at a zoom, but it is really frustrating trying to determine which option would work better and what is affordable.

Hope you mirror issue is fixed soon.

BabySwine
08-12-2013, 8:18pm
Mirror flip issue fixed Mistfox, Still cannot decide on a new lens. Seriously was tempted to buy the Pentax 17-50 but has SDM major issues. So still thinking.

Mistfox
09-12-2013, 12:22am
Me, too. I have been using my 50mm a lot lately, even took it to the Zoo the other day and love the photos of the tiger, it was fun at the beach too, its great to have such a fast lens compared to the 18-200 sigma.

davidbrewster
09-12-2013, 5:47pm
I have done a few events this year and find I use the 21mm f3.2 a lot. Sounds too wide, but in practice works very well for any sort of group shot or tight space. I have the 35mm also which I always have on hand and do swap into occasionally. It is such good value it's worth having regardless. A zoom would be great but I'm yet to be satisfied with the reviews of any of the common options. Like the idea of the 18-135 WR as I ponder the K-3 but need to be convinced that the quality is okay.