PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on settings to take night-time laser light show

AnnieP
09-09-2013, 11:47am
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Brisbane on Thursday to take photos of the laser show - Santos GLNG City of Lights.

I will have my tripod and shoot in Manual.

Am after some ideas on settings please.

I am hoping that my Sigma 10 - 20mm 3.5f will have arrived, otherwise I'll be shooting with my 18 - 105 kit lens.

Thanks

Ann

wmphoto
09-09-2013, 12:47pm
It's difficult as the brightness / intensity of the lights can vary from one situation to the next. However as a starting point I would suggest around f8/f11, ISO of 800 and 10 - 15 second exposure. Take a couple of test shots and adjust from there, but only change ONE setting at a time to see that you are getting the desired result. If not, then try changing one of the other settings.

Also use manual focus.

AnnieP
09-09-2013, 2:01pm
It's difficult as the brightness / intensity of the lights can vary from one situation to the next. However as a starting point I would suggest around f8/f11, ISO of 800 and 10 - 15 second exposure. Take a couple of test shots and adjust from there, but only change ONE setting at a time to see that you are getting the desired result. If not, then try changing one of the other settings.

Also use manual focus.

Thanks Warren, that will certainly give me a starting point.

rossco
09-09-2013, 8:57pm
hi annie there are a couple of shots from last year on my smugmug page, exif details are attached to give you some idea, if that helps

graham68ktm
24-02-2015, 8:16pm
those night time laser shots look great rossco ! I cant wait for vivid this year .