PDA

View Full Version : First external flash purchase advice

Dazz1
05-09-2013, 3:26pm
I have started to research the purchase of an external flash for my Canon 600D. I'll try to lay out what I think I understand and want, and hopefully that will make it easier for you to correct my mistakes and advise what will suit me.

Firstly, my 600D supports wireless flash, so, as I understand it, I could use the built-in flash as the commander/master and buy a cheaper slave unit like the Yongnuo YN560III. I am slightly confused about E-TTL though. The inbuilt flash uses E-TTL to control exposure, right? What happens when using it as a master to control a wireless slave? Does it still achieve E-TTL exposure control, or does that depend on what I buy as a slave? Are some slaves manual only (the YN560 III above?) and others support E-TTL as remote wireless slaves?

What happens when the external flash is mounted on the camera? For a manual flash like the YN560 II, I suspect no E-TTL can happen, but what about other things like wireless flash control. Again, I suspect only some external flashes can be wireless masters. Are these features that I only get in I buy the YN-565EX and YN568EX models?

Another thing I am considering is HSS - high speed sync. Seems to be only available in the YN568EX model. (I am considering other brands like Voeloon too, just using Yongnuo for examples). Can slave flashes do HSS if the master flash on the camera supports HSS itself?

I am thinking HSS might be useful for me when using flash for macro shots with high ambient light, so I can use a higher shutter speed to stop movement, but also use the flash at the same time. Is that how it would work?

Lastly, I see some models have RF receivers. If I use RF to control flashes, does that do E-TTL, HSS etc?

Wretched
05-09-2013, 5:33pm
*removed - read the site rules, in particular rules 3-7*

Dazz1
05-09-2013, 5:49pm

ANYTHING helps :) If I understand correctly, you are saying TTL isn't so necessary. My question would then be, why a YN565EX instead of the cheaper YN560III?

Also, whether I need HSS might end up being the the key point, because if I need that, then the other things, like E-TTL will probably come with it.

Mark L
05-09-2013, 9:33pm
As an aside, for once you decide (and you've probably seen this) ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?124210-Introducing-our-new-entry-level-speed-lites-%28better-than-Yongnuo%29

Wretched
06-09-2013, 8:39am

Dazz1
06-09-2013, 9:16am
As an aside, for once you decide (and you've probably seen this) ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?124210-Introducing-our-new-entry-level-speed-lites-%28better-than-Yongnuo%29

Yes, I have, thanks. Even saw one of these in a local store. Still trying to verify whether or not the v600 does HSS.

Mark L
06-09-2013, 9:43pm
Still trying to verify whether or not the v600 does HSS.

Keep your eye on that sponsors link then!;)

Wretched
06-09-2013, 10:14pm

Can't recall what I wrote now, nor what I could have written to offend, despite looking at the rules page.

ricktas
07-09-2013, 6:47am
Can't recall what I wrote now, nor what I could have written to offend, despite looking at the rules page.

As per the site rules, until you have 30 days membership and 50 posts (you had 11 posts when I removed them) you cannot promote/link to commercial products/services etc, in any way. You did not offend, you just didn't adhere to our rules.

[3] Are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography. New members are also not allowed to seek/advertise employment (either paid or unpaid) anywhere on the site.

Wretched
07-09-2013, 1:29pm
Sorry, this should possibly be done via PM, but you're saying my remark about failures of the specified brand of trigger was against a rule? Ok then

ricktas
07-09-2013, 3:30pm
Sorry, this should possibly be done via PM, but you're saying my remark about failures of the specified brand of trigger was against a rule? Ok then

yes! Until you have 30 days membership and 50 posts (both) you cannot promote or complain about products/services/companies/people on the site! The rule is quite clear on that.

Wretched
08-09-2013, 11:50am
Fair enough, ricktas. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Was just hoping to help, in my defense. Not complaining so much as providing my experience with it and certainly not trying to cause trouble. Thanks again.