PDA

View Full Version : Photography Gallery

cameronpatrol
02-09-2013, 8:42am
Hi all
I went to see dad in hospital yesterday, a hard last two weeks thats for sure.
Anyway I had a look online the other day for a photography gallery around the city in Melbourne.
So after we finished at the hospital we headed to the gallery.
I thought it would be good to pic up some ideas and see what the world of photography is about.
BOy 'o Boy was I in for a shock :lol:

We headed in there and saw a few images on the wall on the way in. like 5 or so.
Got to reception and spoke to the girl there and asked where to go etc.
She kindly and very full of enthusiasum the whole gallery is open, have a look around and enjoy.
She asked if we were students I kindly said no we are just having a look around etc.

Well we head around the corner in a nice building, very arty and pro looking, to come to the main and pretty much the only room that was pretty much empty, 3 videos with headphones playing and some a couple of carboard cutouts on the floor.
we stood and looked at each other and thought ###?
Anyway we stood and watched a video for about a minute or so, a few blokes with bits of paper that were shaped so when they moved them they made a square that opened and closed, ok cool maybe somthing about composition.
Nup they start half moving around like robots and start scrunching the paper on their heads and moving around like I dont know what, well without being rude lol

we headed back around and asked the chick at the desk "wheres the rest of the gallery" did we take a wrong turn?
which part is open?
again lots of happy enthusiasum, the whole gallery is open check it out out yadda yadda.
Hhhmm we did find one small room with the same sort of video.

Well bugger me what an experience.
I must be very niaeve but these arty people are in another world.
I must say I dont think i'll be going back, or maybe see whats on first thats for sure, thank god it didnt cost anything to get in to the place.
Dont hold it against me, It may be right up your alley.
Im just a normal bloke that goes fishing, hunts, and water skiis plus a little photography.
So im not very cultural to say the least.

I have know idea how they stay open, nothing for sale, no entry fee and this place was pretty big.
Anyway thought Id share my arty experience :lol:
Cheers cam

WhoDo
02-09-2013, 9:10am
I have know idea how they stay open, nothing for sale, no entry fee and this place was pretty big.

Your tax dollars at work, Cam. You'll probably find the "art" was also government funded. :confused013

cameronpatrol
02-09-2013, 9:21am
The couple of pictures on the way in where about the only thing id call art :lol:

They did look pretty cool, they were a portrait but in some parts theyd been cut out like a layer, and the bottomw layer was a different person i think.
sort of like those body books your got when you were a kid with the turn page clear pockets that reveal musslce then bone sort of thing.

I rekon your right with the taxes and Gov :confused013
It really has me stuffed how it works.

Lucky there was only one person in the gallery when we were there and she had head phones on, could help but laugh and go what the?
:lol:

Mark L
02-09-2013, 8:07pm
Is Rye near Ballarat?
You may see a few more photos there.
http://ballaratfoto.org/
:)

ricktas
02-09-2013, 8:40pm
Hop on a plane and come to Hobart. Visit MONA (http://www.mona.net.au/) and then you will know what a museum and art gallery (photography included) is really about

cameronpatrol
02-09-2013, 9:23pm
Is Rye near Ballarat?
You may see a few more photos there.
http://ballaratfoto.org/
:)
Rye is on the mornington peninsula, portsea,sorrento, rosebud are all 15 minutes from each other.
Its a few hours from Ballarat.
Thanks for the link :th3:

- - - Updated - - -

Hop on a plane and come to Hobart. Visit MONA (http://www.mona.net.au/) and then you will know what a museum and art gallery (photography included) is really about

I hope to get down to Tas some time in the near future, I'll add it to the things to see.
Thanks for the link also.
I must admit im a bit worried about jumping straight into another gallery :lol: