PDA

View Full Version : Prestigious commercial business wants a photo...

Shane.R
31-08-2013, 5:12pm
Hi all, how much would you charge?

A "Prestigious" commercial realestate business wants my photo (city night shot) to use ongoing as part of their "image".

I jumped over to Getty to have an idea about price. Anything from $50 to $1000

The photo isn't at all personal and unique, but what would you charge? It'll be used on their web page and most likely brochures and advertising the business.

All opinions welcome :)

fess67
31-08-2013, 7:53pm
Depends. I would look at this very simply...I just ordered some pocket wizard stuff. Cost me $500. I would charge them $500 and that pays for the addition to my hobby. If you are a commercial photographer....I have no idea sorry. :)

Shane.R
01-09-2013, 10:48am
Depends. I would look at this very simply...I just ordered some pocket wizard stuff. Cost me $500. I would charge them $500 and that pays for the addition to my hobby. If you are a commercial photographer....I have no idea sorry. :)
Thanks Fess

A secondary follow up email from them almost suggests they want it for free :lol2:

fess67
01-09-2013, 12:02pm
Ahhh but of course!! I have a mate who wanted me to come to his engagement party. I was originally going to be out of town but plans have changed and I told him I could make it. "Great, can you bring your camera please!".......errrr no, I am going to the party not on a photo shoot

William
01-09-2013, 1:58pm
Hi Shane , I have found Real Estate companies dont like paying to much at all , One still owes me $300 from 2 years ago :( To give you an idea we had Billabong use some of our shots on their T-Shirts for a series on the Goldie , For each quarter on the print 4 off on each they paid $150 each because it was converted to B&W and was going to covered by their Logo, IF, They used one single print in colour you're looking at good money $1000 upwards , This gives you maybe some idea where to start , Here is a preproduction image they sent us with their ideas , At least we got free T's out of it as well :D

chappo1
01-09-2013, 2:06pm
Are you going to be acknowledged as the photographer? Do they just want the right to use it or own the copyright from you?

Photo and copyright owned by ........ could be a low fee as they are advertising for you and getting you noticed.
No recognition of you at all then put a good whack on- something to make them wince .....john

Shane.R
01-09-2013, 3:42pm
Thanks William and Chappo.

I highly doubt there'd be any recognition involved, as the photo city at night skyline will be used as an attraction to their business. On their website they already have a city skyline photo at night, albeit outdated and photoshopped to enhance a panorama view :lol:

So any newsletters/brochures/legal documents could possibly have my photo attached. And being "prestigious" they should offer me a shit load :D

Mark L
01-09-2013, 9:26pm
...... And being "prestigious" they should offer me a shit load :D

:lol2:
So ask them for that. Does it matter to you if they don't use your photo?

Shane.R
01-09-2013, 10:09pm
:lol2:
So ask them for that. Does it matter to you if they don't use your photo?
That's my conclusion and I'm sure it will be knocked back, cause even if they used my pic, I'd hardly notice. :flash: but if you want unrestricted ongoing commercial use, then please pay me lots :crzy:

Redgum
02-09-2013, 10:11am
And like all commercial transactions - it's supply and demand. If your price is too high they will look elsewhere. Unless the photograph has some unique feature (once up shot) take $50 and feel thankful.

Shane.R
02-09-2013, 11:44am
And like all commercial transactions - it's supply and demand. If your price is too high they will look elsewhere. Unless the photograph has some unique feature (once up shot) take $50 and feel thankful.Yep, there's also that Redgum or I just ignore them :tog:

Longshots
21-09-2013, 10:03am
These days, its not just about if your 'price is too high', but more about if the word "Price" comes into the equation at all ;)

Speedway
21-09-2013, 11:58am
I did a shot for the local pub a few weeks ago (A group of trail bike riders that stayed at the motel posed out front with their bikes) and got paid $50 for 1 framed double length A4 print.
Cheers
Keith.

Tony B
22-09-2013, 11:00am
I asked me daughter in law who is a partner in a real state company & has been a state top seller of real estate-$dollar wise.
She would not pay anyone for a photo as their name, logo & reputation is all they need to attract clients. I'd be happy to receive anything over $100.

- - - Updated - - -

I asked my daughter in law who is a partner in a real state company & has been a state top seller of real estate-$dollar wise.
She would not pay anyone for a photo as their name, logo & reputation is all they need to attract clients. They also take all their own adverting shots knowing more than most photographers about what features to shoot & how to do it. No photographic experience either just business experience. Not saying their photos could not be done better but their clients are happy. Just the same as using most wedding photographers these days.
I'd accept anything over $100.
As Longshots stated these companies can pick up photos for nothing. It is a buyers market. Many publishing companies I use pay no more than $100 for calendar shots. That is why I prefer to be a salaried or contract pro.

Shane.R
22-09-2013, 12:18pm
I knocked back their offer of $250 for full size res, unrestricted ongoing commercial use. $500 is my offer, not concerned about not getting $250 either.

kanesmadness
22-09-2013, 3:20pm
Well done Shane.R on picking a price you are happy with and going for it. The "just take $50 and be happy you got anything" attitude is what is causing so many people to realise they cannot make serious money out of this. Photographers who pick a price, produce top images and create customer satisfaction ultimatly help the industry as a whole by raising the value a quality image has.

A friend of mine who works up here has an interesting pricing structure to point this out to clients. He takes a few photos that he would class as winners and presents them to the client for $500 average he then also presents some photos that look like they were taken with an iphone and presents them for $50 average . Apparently only 1 person so far has picked the $50 photo.

freelancer
25-09-2013, 8:55am
Ive only had 2 incidents that have ended badly with the use use of my images in the last 8 years and both have been real-estates. Im currently being sued for closing down ones site for illegally using my images without permission and very similar on the other. BE CAREFUL.
Jon

Shane.R
25-09-2013, 10:22am
Update: Sold for $500 :)

Speedway
25-09-2013, 10:59am
Good for you. Sticking to your guns works and proves we shouldn't undervalue our work.
Cheers
Keith.