PDA

View Full Version : Picture in Photoshop becomes over sharpened/noisier from raw

glennb
27-08-2013, 8:28pm
I'm sure this has been discussed so if you have link to it would be great if you can post it, as I can't find it.
My issue is when I push the boundaries in raw to get a picture I like , when I transfer it to photoshop el it becomes too noisy or /over sharpened look.
I am thinking its the compression of jpeg that photoshop uses??
So if the picture looses detail/ causes noise/ oversharpen look from raw too jpeg am I using raw wrong by getting the picture I like/looks good in raw??
Cheers Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

ricktas
27-08-2013, 8:43pm
transfer it to photoshop as a TIF file instead of a JPG

glennb
27-08-2013, 10:09pm
Thanks but I don't get a choice in elements to open/transfer in a format. I was also just guessing it must be jpeg, all I do is press open image and then is opened up in photoshop with the picture looking different to what it is in raw. I did try saving in tiff and jpeg when saving in photoshop to see if the pictures were different but both saved exactly looking the same way.
So I take it the picture shouldn't look different in raw to pp in photoshop?

ricktas
27-08-2013, 10:13pm
How to export as TIF in elements : Click HERE (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-export-files-from-photoshop-elements-11.html)

jjnic
28-08-2013, 12:18pm
My issue is when I push the boundaries in raw to get a picture I like

I could be totally off track but are you talking about using Camera Raw in photoshop? Try opening the .nef file which is the nikon raw file. If you don't have a .nef file how is your camera saving the images? I have mine set to save as both .nef file and .jpeg.
jj

glennb
28-08-2013, 9:34pm
Sorry I should of said I am saving as a NEF file and yes opening it up in photoshop. My process is to open up NEF file in organizer which then brings up the (photoshops) RAW picture which I then will adjust to my liking. I will then press open image which then brings up the picture in photoshop editing BUT looking different to what I wanted in RAW Grrrr :( IT does seem to be the Contrast and sharpening that is being enhanced from raw to photoshop editing program. Should there be any change in a picture from a NEF raw file to photoshops editing?
I did try adjusting the NEF raw image then save it as a TIF file then open it up in photoshop editing BUT still looks different when opened up in photoshops editing (that over sharpened and contrasted look):(

EDIT: Ok I just noticed that looking at the final image from the windows picture library it looks like the correct image I finish with in raw image. So it seems that the photoshop editing program is displaying the image incorrect for some reason!!!(the over sharpen and over contrast look)Grrr

ricktas
28-08-2013, 10:17pm
OK. so you are using Adobe Camera Raw.

In photoshop. Click on menu EDIT, go right to the bottom and click on PREFERENCES. On the next screen (pop-out) click on CAMERA RAW.

Look at those settings, I wonder if you have sharpening turned on and you could look at some of the others as well. My guess is that ACR or photoshop is applying some adjustments on image open. You might need to hunt down the exact cause, but I reckon you have something set that is applying a 'preset' to the images on import into PS. Whether that is ACR as it exports, or PS as it imports.

glennb
29-08-2013, 8:15pm
That was I was thinking too Rick in regards to a preset in photoshop editor but can not find anything. I don't seemed have a camera raw option in preferences either , I'm using elements 11 if that helps. Will have a play with nikons raw and see if it does the same, if it is photoshop editor I'm thinking it will do the same. I will post some screen prints of the images to show what I'm talking about.

glennb
29-08-2013, 10:38pm
Ok from what I can tell its the way the image is being shown in photoshop editor. Depending how much I push the levels in RAW, once transferred to photoshop editor the noise/sharpening looks doubled strengthen, BUT once I save it to what ever format , it looks more like what I see in RAW (corrected back) So if I open it up in windows picture and or photoshop organiser it looks fine, but if I re open that same saved file in photoshop editor again I get same over sharpen and very noisy look in that picture. :/ Grrr So not sure how your suppose to get a accurate edited image with this happening.

ricktas
30-08-2013, 6:43am
So that says something in elements is causing it. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing elements?

glennb
30-08-2013, 9:18pm
Ok tried reinstalling PSE 11 and no difference ;-( I google and only found a couple of people with a similar issue. Found a elements forum so will pick there brains when I get a chance. I will just deal with it for now as the final result after saving seems to be noise free and as Long as I remember not to reduce noise too much more in pse editor so I don't over do it. My PC will not save screen for some reason and I can't right click to save as print screen while in elements, so I can't show you. Grrrr

farmmax
06-09-2013, 5:51pm
I don't know if there is some useful information for you in this Adobe Link (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5636115) Someone has a similar problem, but I'm not sure the suggestions came up with the right answer.

If your keyboard has a "Print Screen" button on it (PrtScn) just hit that, and it will copy a picture of your screen into your clipboard. Then you can use "Paste" to copy that into a new Elements image.

If you are on Win 7 you can also use the Windows Snip Tool to easily take a copy of which ever part of your screen you want to. It would be interesting to see your results.

arthurking83
07-09-2013, 9:16am
try this as an option just to see what happens:

Try using ViewNX2. It will have come on the CD that came in the camera box, or you can download it from Nikon's site (https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18567/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzc4NTA4NjM1L3NpZC9aUVVud0d6bA%3D%3D).(that's a direct link to VNX2 2.8.0 .. the latest version)

If you open VNX2 to view your raw images(NEFs) you can do one of two things from there:

1. save the NEF as a TIFF file using the convert option in the toolbar, and save it to a tiff format that Elements understands. Less compression is better obviously.
2. Go to Edit->Options where an options dialogue box will open up. Scroll to the option setting 'Open with Application'(on the LHS) and use the [Add] button to add Elements to the list of applications recognised by VNX2.

If you choose option 2 here, what happens is that you can rightclick any image and from the top of the rightclick options is the 'Open With' feature .. which you then choose Elements to open the file with.
VNX2 then automagically converts the raw file into a TIFF file for Elements to work with.

Curious to see if this helps(for now).

Mark L
09-09-2013, 8:59pm
....If you are on Win 7 you can also use the Windows Snip Tool to .....

FWIW, Vista also has the Snipping Tool.

glennb
16-09-2013, 8:34pm
Thanks guys, Ok hear are some examples, I deliberately pushed adjustments beyond to clearly show my issue.

The 1st pic is after saving from PSE BUT this is what it also looks like in Adobe RAW BEFORE PP in PSE (I could not save the raw picture but is the same as end result) notice only a little noise.

The 2nd pic is what the image looks like when transferred into PSE editor for further adjustments. notice the extra noise.

The 3rd pic are pics side by side and the left image is when its in PSE for editing

As I said earlier the end result ends up fine its just in PPE editor seems to be creating too much noise , which would not be good to get an accurate edit of your image I would think, as it changes (reduces noise) after saving.
Cheers
Glenn