PDA

View Full Version : Learnt the Hard Way

Tamera
16-08-2013, 6:20pm
My sincere apologies for not visiting for a while. Unfortunately I have learnt the hard way that you should ALWAYS wear your neck strap when using your camera. I was standing on a chair, taking a photo of my daughters birthday cake, when I dropped my camera onto our ceramic tiles. I was devastated as I had only had it for a few months. Anyway, the body seems fine (Canon 650D) but the lens (EFS 55-250mm IS II) was broken where it attaches to the camera (sorry, don't know technical term). Anyway, I have saved up and am waiting for my replacement lens, but have not had the body checked.

Do you think it necessary for me to take the camera in to be looked at? I had taken about 3 or 4 photos with the camera immediately after I had dropped it, (before I realised that the section joining the lens to the body had been chipped) and the photos seemed fine. However I haven't been sure whether I could do more damage if I kept using it? There is no 'rattle of possible loose bits' from the body and it still seems to be functioning fine.

Really appreciate the advice,
Thanks
Tamera

ricktas
16-08-2013, 7:26pm
it would be worth getting it checked, you could have dislocated the sensor, or mirror, or damaged the shutter mechanism and getting it checked over is going to give you some peace of mind and also if there is something wrong, stop any frustration with image quality down the track. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Seeing this happened at home you may be able to cover the costs via your house/contents insurance, have you spoken to your insurance company?

basketballfreak6
25-09-2013, 12:17pm
sorry to hear that, as far as i am aware canon australia will do general check and clean for like ~$60 inc return shipping, so might be worthwhile for peace of mind

William
25-09-2013, 4:22pm
Hi Tamera, I dont know where in SE Q you live , But if it's close to the Goldie , This guy is an Ex Canon repairman , I Have done dealings with him and he knows his stuff and is very honest and reliable IMO , Probably best get a check up as the others have said , His Name is David Salter

http://www.whitepages.com.au/business-listing/salter-david-camera-repairs-924816

PS : Back to Tamera, , Sorry I did'nt see the date this was posted , Someone reserected the post after more than a month , Hope you got your Cam checked