PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic GX7

coolie21
16-08-2013, 9:00am
Having used and loved a GF1 for a few years now I've got to say this looks very tempting...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/08/01/panasonic-reveals-lumix-dmc-gx7-enthusiast-mirrorless-camera

Arg
19-08-2013, 11:43am
But would it still be tempting without the EVF?

I ask this because the EVF image quality appears to be mediocre. Early reports confirm this. Also its eye point is 17.5 mm, which makes it not useful to me as an eyeglass wearer. My DSLR's eye point is 22 mm, and the Olympus VF-4 eye point is 21mm, which are usable for nearly all eyeglass wearers.

coolie21
19-08-2013, 12:09pm
As I'm using the 200,000 dot LVF1 on my GF1 anything would be an improvement. Not sure about the eyepoint issue, does the dioptre adjustment not compensate for this? (I really don't know)

swifty
19-08-2013, 5:03pm
It does look good on paper and the reviews that are beginning to roll out seem quite positive generally.
Pricing is always a bit of an issue with Panasonic. I feel it should really be priced below a Sony NEX-6 but I fear market forces will keep it quite close to retail for some time.

There's a few things I like over my EM5:
- EVF on left side (and tilt-able)
- built in flash
- usable AE/AF-L button (programmable as an AF-On button hopefully.. still need to confirm this)
- built in wireless connectivity
- looks like a better grip (without accessory grips).
- shares battery with another model (availability of spare batteries straight away).

I use to own a LC1 that a lot of ppl have commented a GX7 resembles and that was one of the best handling cameras (DSLRs included) I've ever handled. Too bad m43 lenses lack aperture rings.

Arg
19-08-2013, 11:07pm
Not sure about the eyepoint issue, does the dioptre adjustment not compensate for this? (I really don't know)

Only if your only problem is shortsightedness (no astigmatism etc), AND you are happy to take your glasses off to put the camera to your eye for every shot, and put them back on after every shot.

If you mean "does the dioptre adjustment change the eye point?", no.

So in other words it is really, really nearly useless if you want to use an EVF with insufficient eye point for your eyeglasses -- and that is the GX7.

Arg
16-12-2013, 2:23pm
I should add, I have since tried out the GX7 in-store, and the EVF was better than I had expected. With eyeglasses on, I could see the whole image when shooting 4:3 still images. I think this was due to the EVF screen being 16:9, so when shooting 4:3 the extreme sides are not used.

My only complaint: outdoors, shooting into the afternoon sun with eyeglasses, the EVF had so much light leakage past the eyeglasses that it was no better than using the back screen. This was easily cured, though, by using the unique tilting function of the EVF and looking down into it at an angle that no sunlight leaked in. I also tried the Panasonic accessory eyecup for this specific camera, and that was an alternative cure.

And the EVF image quality was very good. They have made a tradeoff: slight blurring when panning the camera across the screen, in exchange for supreme image detail and colour gamut. It works for me.

So impressed was I, that order one I did! (Also the rubber eyecup). That's a significant backtrack on what I have previously posted in this thread, so I need to eat humble pie and admit it: there's no substitute for experience! :)