PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help repair this old photo?

Ezookiel
10-08-2013, 9:39pm
G'Day all.
My Mum started to work on this photo herself, with some pretty basic software, to try and tidy up the mess someone has made of it.
However, she hasn't really the tools for it, and whilst I have Photoshop CS5.5, my skills in photoshop really aren't up to fixing this amount of damage. But I'm also pretty sure there's a lot that could be done.
If anyone wanted to have a play around with fixing it up, even just a basic tidy-up, I'd be really grateful.
Thanks heaps in advance if you can.

Here's a low res preview to show you what to expect,
If you can help please don't use this version, it's just displayed to show you what to expect - please use the full size version further down.

If you think you can help, the full size version is HERE - it's almost 10meg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61164671/Portrait%20of%20Anne%20Original.jpeg
(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61164671/Portrait%20of%20Anne%20Original.jpeg)
Thanks heaps if you can help.

yummymummy
10-08-2013, 11:00pm
I'll have a go, can't promise anything, but will post up results when I'm finished :th3:

Ezookiel
10-08-2013, 11:55pm
Thanks.
I'm giving it a go myself as well - as much for the learning experience as anything - but pretty sure most people here would do a better job, as my PS knowledge is quite limited. Especially for this kind of stuff. I can do simple stuff like the basic PP to finish off a RAW file into the photo I took, but this kind of stuff goes way beyond that.
Really appreciate the offer of some help with it, yummymummy.

yummymummy
11-08-2013, 6:20am
ok, so it took a while, and it's still way too dark ( I think) but here's what i've got so far. The noise ( aka my kids) will be awake soon, so I won't be able to play again til during the week.
http://www.kirstyhellmechphotography.com/Other/restoration/i-XpDGk5c/1/L/Portrait%20of%20Anne%20copy-L.jpg

ricktas
11-08-2013, 9:14am
my efforts. With a lot more time, I am sure this photo could be made even better.

rossco
11-08-2013, 9:43am
you really made the eyes come to life there rick

Ezookiel
11-08-2013, 12:57pm
Wow Rick. I knew the photo had potential, but that is amazing. Thanks heaps for that. You did way better than I have done so far.

ricktas
11-08-2013, 1:02pm
Wow Rick. I knew the photo had potential, but that is amazing. Thanks heaps for that. You did way better than I have done so far.

I have the original size version after editing if you want a copy.

Ezookiel
11-08-2013, 1:03pm
I was trying contrast brightness changes, dodge, burn, and sharpen, as well as the healing tool of course.
Could you give me some basics of what you did to get such great results?

Ezookiel
11-08-2013, 1:08pm
That would be great Rick. Could you send it to T.J.McDon at gmail?
And thank you SOOO much for doing that. What an incredible improvement.

ricktas
11-08-2013, 1:24pm
That would be great Rick. Could you send it to T.J.McDon at gmail?
And thank you SOOO much for doing that. What an incredible improvement.

Uploaded it to my dropbox. grab it from there and when done, reply and I will remove it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftbmcrkgv6lq5zq/Portrait%20of%20Anne%20Original%20copy.jpg

Ezookiel
11-08-2013, 1:30pm
Ok. Will grab after work (my phone isn't liking it at all) so will grab it after 7pm when I'm home on the computer.

Ezookiel
11-08-2013, 8:02pm
Thanks Rick. Grabbed it from the Dropbox.
Much appreciated.

Ezookiel
13-08-2013, 12:13am
Yummy Mummy, I've sent your copy through as well.
Both copies have blown my Mum away, and gob-smacked the 76 year old daughter of the woman in the photo. You've made her a very very happy lady.
She's over the moon with the improvement. Not sure which My mum will go with, but she'll be getting the improved version printed for the lady. She apparently doesn't have many (or possibly any) other photos of her Mum. So you've done her a really great service.

From both of them, and and especially from me, a huge thank you to both of you.

And my especial apologies to you Yummy Mummy.
Because I was doing so much of this from my phone from work, I didn't see your response (photos take a long time to appear in threads when viewed on a phone in a poor internet area), and so didn't thank you properly for taking the time to improve the photo.
I don't mind the dark version at all. It draws the total attention to the lady in the photo.
As I said above, I've sent your copy through to my Mum, and I believe she's shown both to the lady's daughter.
Thanks heaps for taking the time to try to improve it. You've sure made an old lady (well, two old ladies if you include my Mum) very happy.
My apologies that I didn't thank you properly earlier when talking about Rick's version.

And this was my own attempt.
Though I wasn't happy with how dirty the blouse looked, but I tried to preserve the texture and pattern of the blouse, but think the much brighter versions you two did actually work much better.
I also really don't like how speckled the poor lady's face is. It's given her the worst case of freckles ever.

yummymummy
13-08-2013, 6:54am
You're very welcome, and it's not a problem at all. :)

Yummy Mummy, I've sent your copy through as well.
Both copies have blown my Mum away, and gob-smacked the 76 year old daughter of the woman in the photo. You've made her a very very happy lady.
She's over the moon with the improvement. Not sure which My mum will go with, but she'll be getting the improved version printed for the lady. She apparently doesn't have many (or possibly any) other photos of her Mum. So you've done her a really great service.

From both of them, and and especially from me, a huge thank you to both of you.

And my especial apologies to you Yummy Mummy.
Because I was doing so much of this from my phone from work, I didn't see your response (photos take a long time to appear in threads when viewed on a phone in a poor internet area), and so didn't thank you properly for taking the time to improve the photo.
I don't mind the dark version at all. It draws the total attention to the lady in the photo.
As I said above, I've sent your copy through to my Mum, and I believe she's shown both to the lady's daughter.
Thanks heaps for taking the time to try to improve it. You've sure made an old lady (well, two old ladies if you include my Mum) very happy.
My apologies that I didn't thank you properly earlier when talking about Rick's version.

And this was my own attempt.
Though I wasn't happy with how dirty the blouse looked, but I tried to preserve the texture and pattern of the blouse, but think the much brighter versions you two did actually work much better.
I also really don't like how speckled the poor lady's face is. It's given her the worst case of freckles ever.

Mathy
14-08-2013, 2:33am
I'm really impressed at the efforts produced by Yummymummy and Ricktas - they both look great. And a big :th3: to the pair of you for stepping up and having a go. It's lovely to read about good deeds, cheers Deb

Ezookiel
14-08-2013, 5:37pm
Ricktas,
Any idea why my attachment is only showing up as a link to "Attachment 102593" rather than as an actual photo?
How do I make an attachment show up as a photo rather than a link?

landyvlad
30-06-2015, 10:02am
I'll preface this by saying that I salute you both for the excellent work.

Yummymummy you've done a job as good as Ricks on the body etc, though Rick has really brought those eyes out !

YM if I may offer just one piece of CC / comment? As far as I have seen the photo prints of that era never had as much contrast as you have created in that image, which is what makes it look not quite perfect.

But as I said, far better than I could do, and a credit to the both of you :)