PDA

View Full Version : Copyright symbol, or logo

Marika
28-07-2013, 6:25pm
A question for those with photography businesses..

On your images in your website, do you think it's better to display your logo, or the copyright sign with the year and your business name next to it?

I'm in the middle of redoing my website, and I've hit a conundrum, so far I have always used my logo, but I'm beginning to worry that it may detract from the image...

ricktas
28-07-2013, 6:28pm
The copyright sign really serves no real purpose. Copyright exists without it. Keep using your logo..it is advertising and marketing... the © is not

Marika
28-07-2013, 6:47pm
Thanks Rick, I hate having self doubts..
Lately on all the sites I visit, it seems to be the norm to use the © info only..

ricktas
28-07-2013, 8:30pm
Thanks Rick, I hate having self doubts..
Lately on all the sites I visit, it seems to be the norm to use the © info only..

maybe its the trend for late 2013...but by summer someone will debunk it and it will be out of favour and 'so last year' again. Just do what you want and forget about what everyone else does. Just cause they do it, doesn't mean it is better/right..it just means they are all copying each other.

Marika
28-07-2013, 10:02pm
Very true, thank you!

Redgum
09-08-2013, 3:41pm
If you are concerned about copyright take legal advice. On the three occasions I've been to court on copyright issues over the past 25 years, all have been won on properly identifying copyright ownership. In the last case the court considered the lack of proper copyright identification to be mitigating circumstances and did not consider a brand or logo suitable. After all the copyright symbol is built into most keyboards so its application is not an imposition. Having a digital copy is no longer a guarantee of ownership either. It's all in the documentation (subsequent proof).

Longshots
15-08-2013, 11:59am
There has been a huge increase in the number of people "borrowing" others images - and its not just businesses and other organisations who do this, but unbelievably other photographers.

So my advice is yes definitely use the © symbol - why not ? its as easy to put it on there, and to include that in a watermark - doesnt have to be brash or in your face, as it can easily be added in as layer and then that layer set a low opacity.

PS to get the copright symbol from your keyboard on a PC press ALT key (hold it down) and at the same time numbers 0169 = ©
PPS to get the copyright symbol from your keyboard on a MAC press Option key (hold it down) and the same time press the letter G = ©

And sorry to point this out Rick, but you're quite wrong - copyright does not exist without it - if you're looking at this situation from the world wide web perspective. True it exists (with a few exceptions) in Australia, but the main bulk of imagery is removed from outside of Australia - so put the copyright symbol in there (date isnt really important - but if you feel like it do it) and that way you can quickly demonstrate to a hosting company that a DCMA notice is valid that you are indeed the copyright holder.

Its not the case of it necessariyl going before the courts, because thats the last resort, its more about keeping the copyright information in the metadata (which yes some places strip that in the upload - unhelpful), but most definitely in the watermark.

Redgum
15-08-2013, 12:31pm
Thanks William - a little add-on...
The copyright symbol should be used in conjunction with identification, i.e. date and owners name. In the case mentioned above the court ruled that this should be so but added if using a logo or trademark in place of a name it should be registered. Even if an image is marked "copyright" (can't get symbol to work on this forum) the owner needs to be identified and date of copyright established otherwise an excuse may exist for those who have stolen the image. (i.e. Tried to find the owner).

ricktas
15-08-2013, 1:14pm
The copyright symbol should work just fine on the the site, John. © ©
Windows - hold down the ALT key and press 0169 on the keypad, then release the alt key

wideangle
15-08-2013, 1:18pm
A question for those with photography businesses..

On your images in your website, do you think it's better to display your logo, or the copyright sign with the year and your business name next to it?

I'm in the middle of redoing my website, and I've hit a conundrum, so far I have always used my logo, but I'm beginning to worry that it may detract from the image...

Totally your own logo, as it's advertising and promotion of your 'product', the copyright symbol is generic.

Redgum
15-08-2013, 2:58pm
The copyright symbol should work just fine on the the site, John. © ©
Windows - hold down the ALT key and press 0169 on the keypad, then release the alt key
Thanks Rick, must be my keyboard - doesn't work in Office either.

ricktas
15-08-2013, 3:18pm
Thanks Rick, must be my keyboard - doesn't work in Office either.

You have to use the keypad on the right of the keyboard, not the numbers above the keyboard.

Redgum
15-08-2013, 7:05pm
You have to use the keypad on the right of the keyboard, not the numbers above the keyboard.
That explains it. I haven't got one keyboard with a numbers pad.

FallingHorse
16-08-2013, 10:46pm
You can always open the "Character Map" and copy and past the symbol if you don't have the number pad on your keyboard ;)