PDA

View Full Version : Routers......grrrrrr!

ktoopi
14-07-2013, 10:02am
Does anyone know anything about wireless routers?
Ours is over 10 years old and so my husband decided to upgrade as downloading movies to the tv was painfully slow and he came home with a NETGEAR D6300......it all sounded wonderful on the box but the dam thing does not connect with either of our laptops or my iphone 4S!!! It only connects with the apple TV( movies now download in a nano second!!!) the ipad and my husband's iphone 5!!!! It only works with things that can go on 5GHz even though it's supposed to be able to run
2.4 GHz and 5GHz simultaneously.

I think it's a complete waste of money as it was pretty exy......what are we doing wrong?
My husband worked on getting it going all day yesterday to no avail.....I am about to take it back.................Very frustrating...........I researched it online and all the reviews say it is awesome but loads and loads of people have posted similar problems to me but noone seems to have a solution! Is it to do with the fact that it is 802.11ac and not 802.11n? Is it too advanced for our older gear?? Although my lap top is high end and less than 12 months old it doesn't even see the router at all let alone connect to it...even when I take the laptop downstairs and sit next to the router it makes no difference. ( I read online that you need to be close to the router when setting up the connections) My husband's laptop can sometimes see the router but can't connect to it.
Any suggestions gratefully recieved.....

Cheers Karen

macmich
14-07-2013, 10:22am
karen
you should have a phone number on the box
phone them and they will guide you through it
paul

ktoopi
14-07-2013, 10:39am
Hi Paul....there is a phone number on the box which you cannot get through to at any time of the day!!! You simply get a recorded message saying"your call could not be connected due to high volume of traffic"
Cheers Karen

geoffsta
14-07-2013, 11:25am
Type this in you internet address bar 192.168.1.1 (Hopefully) username: admin and password: admin Hopefully that will then give you the opportunity to run the internet setup wizard

ktoopi
14-07-2013, 11:44am
I finally managed to get through to customer support .........we are now online!!!! Yay! thanks guys who responded to my cry for help borne of frustration!!:D