PDA

View Full Version : what filter brand or type

001DAN
09-07-2013, 10:33am
G'day I just got my self a :2biggn: sigma 150 -500mm lens :umm: :scrtch: :umm: but I am not sure what way I'll go for filter Brand or type Eg; Cokin, Lee for the quick option Or Hoya ect. Screw on type I am thinking of ND's, Circular Polariser, & maybe some Graduateds at some stage so which type or brand do you recomend. Thanks for your time & effort Dan.

ricktas
09-07-2013, 11:08am
get a square filter holder of 100mm size (Lee or Cokin Z-pro) and then you can fit all the standard 100mm square filters (no matter what brand) into it. But be aware filters are going to cost you $$$. A 100mm polariser for these is several hundred $$ alone. The good thing about the square filter systems is the adapters for different lens thread sizes are cheap, so you can make the kit fit fairly much any lens by getting the cheap adapter ring

Kym
09-07-2013, 11:12am
I agree with Rick... but! Why do you want or need a filter on the 150-500?

What are you shooting with that lens?
If it's wildlife or sports I don't really think a filter is useful.

001DAN
09-07-2013, 12:45pm
Thank you for the advice. My main use is wildlife but it will also be used for landscapes for ultra closeups. I also meant to say it is going on a Pentax KM with occasional usage of a 2x converter if needed, & used on a carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod. There are a couple of reasons for my thinking of filters; the first is to cut the reflections & or the harsh light; the second is to get more detail out of the darker areas. In a couple of landscapes that I tried with a 70-300mm @ 300mm with a 2x with close up filters & graduated fitlers & it did not work as well as well I thought.

ricktas
09-07-2013, 1:29pm
Using a long lens that is not an f2.8 lens, with a 2x teleconvertor and then filters is going to result in image quality degradation. The more 'things' you add between the sensor and the subject, the more likely you are to find a lack of sharpness and image quality comes into play. The exact same reason you had issues with the 70-300. To much 'crap' added between sensor and subject.

Rattus79
09-07-2013, 2:09pm
^^^ What Rick said.

You'd be better off spending the money on a new body over the filters.

A K5ii with no AA filter goes for just on $800 ..... :D

Or a UWA for those Landscapes.

001DAN
09-07-2013, 8:14pm
G'day thank you again but WHAT IS :umm: A ( UWA ) :scrtch: :confused013 I have not heard that before. I am hoping to get some new photos done this sunday with the new lens :crossed: weather PERMITS :crossed:

ricktas
09-07-2013, 8:20pm
UWA = Ultra Wide Angle (like a sigma 10-20)