PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC

Warren Ackary
28-06-2013, 1:24pm
Cant find any reviews on dpreview in comparision to Sigma & Nikon.

Has anyone here tested it as yet?

Darey
28-06-2013, 7:20pm
Warren,

From all accounts it seems to be a very good lens.

Try this link: http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/789-tamron2470f28fx

arthurking83
28-06-2013, 9:19pm
Has anyone here tested it as yet?

Yep, but only a quick few shots in the store, not extensive.

From the shots I have, this lens(if it's a good copy) is definitely a keeper. At least as good as the Nikon equivalent in terms of IQ.
Focus is fast and silent.

BUT!!(I said briefly in another thread, the VC on the lens I quickly played with felt strange .. almost like it didn't want to work .. but not quite.

It obviously did work, because i got three sharp images at 200mm and 1/100s or less in a darkish showroom environment.

This is the entire image. D800E 1/100s f/2.8 ISO1800.

FWIW: DxO rate this lens higher than Nikon's 70-200VRII! ;)

This is a 100% crop. Note ISO1800, no sharpening applied at all, NR hasn't been removed.
With proper NR and the right amount of sharpening this image looks about spot on.

Note about the weird VC operation. It almost feels as though it's not kicking in. That is, when it does the transition felt a lot less like what I'm used too(Nikon 105VR and 18-105VR and Tamron 24-70VC)
They all feel a lot less obvious as to when the VC kicked in.
I also checked focus speed(and noise) and didn't take any more shots for this test, just focused at near, then far objects around their showroom(quite a large showroom too), and AF was basically faultless for 99.9% of situations.

I reckon, tied to a Nikon TC-20EIII .. I reckon you'd have one seriously capable lens.

Had I not been purchasing the 24-70, I reckon I'd have walked out with this lens instead.

Warren Ackary
28-06-2013, 10:17pm
Yep, but only a quick few shots in the store, not extensive.

From the shots I have, this lens(if it's a good copy) is definitely a keeper. At least as good as the Nikon equivalent in terms of IQ.
Focus is fast and silent.

BUT!!(I said briefly in another thread, the VC on the lens I quickly played with felt strange .. almost like it didn't want to work .. but not quite.

It obviously did work, because i got three sharp images at 200mm and 1/100s or less in a darkish showroom environment.

This is the entire image. D800E 1/100s f/2.8 ISO1800.

FWIW: DxO rate this lens higher than Nikon's 70-200VRII! ;)

This is a 100% crop. Note ISO1800, no sharpening applied at all, NR hasn't been removed.
With proper NR and the right amount of sharpening this image looks about spot on.

Note about the weird VC operation. It almost feels as though it's not kicking in. That is, when it does the transition felt a lot less like what I'm used too(Nikon 105VR and 18-105VR and Tamron 24-70VC)
They all feel a lot less obvious as to when the VC kicked in.
I also checked focus speed(and noise) and didn't take any more shots for this test, just focused at near, then far objects around their showroom(quite a large showroom too), and AF was basically faultless for 99.9% of situations.

I reckon, tied to a Nikon TC-20EIII .. I reckon you'd have one seriously capable lens.

Had I not been purchasing the 24-70, I reckon I'd have walked out with this lens instead.

HI mate, thanks for that.. I have a D700 & Nikon 24-70 2.8 but I want a 70-200 and the VR11 is way out of my comfort zone.
I went through 2 Sigma versions with the OS.. first one didnt focus at all (so was returned and refunded same day), next one I got the AF clunked and grinded, returned and credited also.. I did have a 70-200 VR1.. loved it, shot all last season with it but used the sale of it to get the D700 :)

Anyway, am now in need of one.. I also have seen since posting this that the Tamron is weatherdealed also.. the Sigma is not.
Thanks for the info & images :th3:

- - - Updated - - -

Warren,

From all accounts it seems to be a very good lens.

Try this link: http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/789-tamron2470f28fx

Hi Darey.. thanks but the link is for a 24-70 :lol:

Darey
29-06-2013, 2:12pm
Oops, then what Arthur said. :o

Lance B
29-06-2013, 4:53pm
The Tamron is supposed to be a real beauty, Warren. DXO Mark gave it a great result:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Tamron-Lens-SP-70-200mm-F-2.8-Di-VC-USD-Nikon-mount-review-High-performance-and-excellent-value

Warren Ackary
29-06-2013, 7:53pm
looks like it goes better with a D800 than a D700 in regardles to sharpness @100mm

Can only dream of getting another Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, guess this is the next best thing when on budget/long term finance

AUXRVIII
15-06-2014, 6:49pm
I just picked up this lens yesterday, which is replacing my Canon 70-200mm f4 L lens. I find the auto focus to be on a par with the Canon most of the time, occasionally there will be a delay though. The focusing mechanism is quieter than the Canon.
Image stabilisation performance is also impressive, only once did I notice it operating when it lagged due to me moving erratically too much. The stabilisation mechanism is quieter than the IS in my Canon 24-105mm f4 L.
Image quality is excellent, it's certainly sharpest lens I now own.