PDA

View Full Version : Questions about saving Canon RAW as TIFF using Canon DPP

Dazz1
27-06-2013, 4:06pm
First Question:

When I process a Canon RAW (.CR2) file in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, I can convert and save it as a few different formats. The choices are...
Exif-JPEG
Exif-TIFF 8bit
TIFF 16bit

To me it seems to imply that the Exif data will get written to the file for the first 2 choices, but not the last. Is that right, you can have Exif data in TIFF files, just like JPG? However, I don't see any Exif data in the Exif-TIFF 8bit file it generates, just in the Exif-JPEG. Maybe the programs I am using (DigiKam and Gimp) just don't understand Exif TIFF.

Second Question:

When I convert and save to TIFF, there are 2 parameters I can set. The first one is output resolution - which defaults to 350 dpi. What effect does this have, and what should it be set to? The second is a checkbox to "Embed ICC Profile in image". What should I do with this. It defaults to ON.

When I import these files into Gimp, it sees 2 'pages'. I can import both - and one of the seems to be a thumbnail image, the other is the full res image. Is this normal?

ameerat42
27-06-2013, 5:27pm
Strange that it would not save the EXIF in the 16-bit version!!! (???)
Output resolution will not matter at all as long as it is NOT being resampled. Try to match the output from your camera.
I'm not sure, but is that 180 DPI? It will just determine the actual measurements of the image, but again, without resampling it doesn't matter.
The ICC (International Color Consortium) profile is that of your camera. It should be matchable with all the latest s/w. I'd leave it ON.
Yes. Well, it is common, if not normal. You may not be able to open the TIFF in Photoshop (my CS2 doesn't) as it may not see the 2nd image. But you should be able to in Bridge.
Anyway, I think you can save it out as a single file. (Others can verify.)
Am.

Dazz1
27-06-2013, 5:40pm
Strange that it would not save the EXIF in the 16-bit version!!! (???)
Output resolution will not matter at all as long as it is NOT being resampled. Try to match the output from your camera.
I'm not sure, but is that 180 DPI? It will just determine the actual measurements of the image, but again, without resampling it doesn't matter.
The ICC (International Color Consortium) profile is that of your camera. It should be matchable with all the latest s/w. I'd leave it ON.
Yes. Well, it is common, if not normal. You may not be able to open the TIFF in Photoshop (my CS2 doesn't) as it may not see the 2nd image. But you should be able to in Bridge.
Anyway, I think you can save it out as a single file. (Others can verify.)
Am.

It doesn't save it in the 8bit version either, despite the way it is named. Maybe it's buggy.

Thanks for the rest of the info. As I mentioned in another reply a minute ago, I have just found a better workflow that doesn't use DPP and intermediate TIFF files, by using UFRaw to process the RAW files and hand them on to Gimp directly.

Mary Anne
29-06-2013, 4:16pm
Strange that I use DPP and it saves the Exif Data in all the Formats, something you are doing after must be stripping the Exif Data from the images.
Some of those free programs do that, I know Noiseware Community Edition strips it..

Dazz1
29-06-2013, 7:49pm
Strange that I use DPP and it saves the Exif Data in all the Formats, something you are doing after must be stripping the Exif Data from the images.
Some of those free programs do that, I know Noiseware Community Edition strips it..

Yeah, figured out it was Gimp losing the data on import of TIFF files.

arthurking83
30-06-2013, 12:16am
Those two pages of (some)TIFF files is normal.

Dunno exactly why, but some other software display those tiff files in the same way, whereas other software only shows the main file only, not 'both pages'.