PDA

View Full Version : Learning photography. Where to start?

Jossie
25-06-2013, 12:57pm
Hello. I'm new to the forum :) I love photography and would like to one day do it as a profession! I have wanted to do a course for a while but with a growing family it seems like i'm never going to be able to afford the thousands of dollars that It costs to enrol. For this reason I have decided that i'd try to learn as much as possible outside of the classroom. But where to begin? I have a Nikon digital camera, although it is not an SLR, I am saving up for one :) I have basic camera skills, I love taking photos regularly of my family and locations we go to. I try to take good professional looking shots but am not too familiar with the rules. I'm thinking that I should get some books to start off with to learn some rules and techniques and then try putting it to practice. Would this be the best place to start? What books would you recommend? I am in no rush with this. My kiddies are still young so I wouldn't be looking at starting a business for a few years yet. I want to spend the next few years sucking in as much information and practice as possible! Any advice would be appreciated?

ricktas
25-06-2013, 1:03pm
Welcome.

I would first start by saying if you cannot afford thousands for a course,. give up on the idea of being a professional photographer and just focus on being a good hobbyist. To work professionally you need thousands of dollars of gear, etc. So work with what you have and be happy improving your own photography skills, for now.

read this: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?73305-Becoming-a-Professional-Photographer

and then just work on learning to be a better photographer for now.

Tikira
25-06-2013, 1:43pm
Hi Jossie and welcome
AP is a great place to start learning. Read everything in our "library", do all the exercises and post the results up here for comment. It truely is the best way to learn.
Besides that, the internet is your friend, scour it, and think about what you like or don't like about the photo's you see- critique it in your head. There are a billion tutorials, and examples of photography "rules", do's and don't etc.
Treat AP and the rest of the internet as your teacher- it is free, you get to work from home, there is no time limit.... then go practice, practice, practice. This is how most of us have learned, spending thousands in "photography school" is not as smart as teaching yourself at this stage in your life.
Have fun, and post some of your results so some impartial people can offer constructive advice.

Di

Mark L
26-06-2013, 7:43pm
Gday and welcome Jossie.
The first course you can do is free and here on AP ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

As Di said, getting involved here, posting photos and/or simply asking questions will help you on your journey.
Step by step, who knows where you'll be in 5 or 10 years. :th3:

geoffsta
26-06-2013, 8:32pm
Hi Jossie.
Above is some pretty sound advice. Ricktas has been involved with photography since a youngster. And what he doesn't know about photography isn't worth worrying about.
Yet as a professional only scrapes by, like many others.

My advice is to go through the library as others have suggested. It will out do any course that TAFE or other organization will come up with.
Look at the location of other members on the site. There are some that may live reasonably close by, and be willing to share a day out. I have found that with these meetups, you not only learn a bit for yourself, but maybe able to show a few tricks or ideas for the others.

It's a tough road.... And there will be times when you'll want to throw the camera out the window... But in the end, after a lot of practice it will all come together. That's when you will decide to go professional, or stay as a hobbyist.

I have heard that around $30,000 is a starting point for taking photography seriously. And that is only minimal gear and software. There is registration, insurance, overheads and much more to consider. And on top of that, taking photos is only about 10% of the business. The rest is old fashioned hard work to keep the business going. I have spent between $16,000 and $18,000 on gear and software, and have nowhere near what the pros have.

Good luck with your dream. And I hope I haven't disheartened your passion for the hobby. And if you are ever in the eastern side of Victoria, I'd love to spend a day out with you.

Jacs14
03-08-2013, 2:19pm
Hi Jossie

Go with all the above advice and try out the different tutorials on AP. Other than that just get out with the camera, play and have fun. Find out what it is you really enjoy doing and taking photos of, there are so many genres of photography. Post photos and ask questions. The only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask.

Jacs :)

dannat
03-08-2013, 3:18pm
You could also seek out a local camera or photography club, most let you attend 1-2 meetings to see if you like what they have to offer.

CandidTown
03-08-2013, 3:40pm
A forum is a good start.
There is a lot of good photographers here who are knowledgeable and willing to share their experience.
Just remember that a forum is by definition a place to "discuss" photography, make sure you spend a lot more time practicing and studying.

Good books to start with would be those by Brian Peterson. "Understanding exposure", "learning to see creatively", or a new one by Jennifer Bebb - beyond auto mode.
They are well written, easy to follow for novice photographers.
A good book on composition is also "the photographers eye"

Gear: You will need a decent gear if you are planning to go pro one day.
Don't get a cheap SLR, unless they are second hand, in good condition and less than 200$ - just to get you started and to study with.. NOT to shoot professionally!
I suggest, instead: Get a pro-sumer camera, not quite Pro level, but much better than those cheap sub-1000$ kits. If you decide to go pro, you can use them as your second camera which you MUST have if you plan to shoot for money.
Check Canon 70D or Nikon D7100 ... as a guide.

I agree with Geoff, you will spend close to 20K for your gear if you want to give yourself a chance to compete.
Insurance for your gear and indemnity will cost you about a grand annually.
After that you still need a website, software, advertising cost, etc... etc...

Photography is an extremely competitive profession.
Anyone can buy a 3000$ camera and call themselves a photographer. Weekend warriors who will shoot a wedding for 500$... there is no way to compete with that.
Very few photographers will do better than 100K a year...
Dont want to discourage you... but the reality is not that rosy...

But i DO encourage you to learn... Whether you decide to go pro or not, photography is a great hobby and when you do it well it will give you a LOT of satisfaction.

J

MrQ
03-08-2013, 8:59pm
Check your local community college too. They're usually a good place to start with some face to face training. Books, forums, etc. are great but sometimes it's nice to actually talk to other like minded folk.

denisecauchi
28-08-2013, 10:01am
Hi Jossie, the best way I learnt was to join some camera clubs. There are plenty of experienced photographers that love to teach in each of them. They also may have a library of books you can borrow. Get out and take lots of photos and keep a diary of the settings you use. I hope this helps.

old4570
15-11-2013, 11:20pm
A) You dont need Thousands of dollars worth of gear ... ( To learn )
B) Practice , and practice and practice some more ... All the time aiming a little higher .
C) Start @ youtube.com , There are lots and lots of video tutorials to watch , if you want . Pick a topic , watch and research , and then practice till you understand and can replicate ...
D) Photography is as simple , or as complicated as you want to make it ...

Simple as in Buy a decent camera | lens | flash | combo , run it in full auto and take good pictures ...
Or as complicated as running manual ( which is not really that complicated ) ....
:confused013 Just depends on what sort of photography you want to do !

DSLR - Pick a brand you plan to gravitate too ...
You said pro , so I guess that means Canon or Nikon full frame ... ( expensive )
Nikon has a cropped 24MP camera , or series of cameras .. So does Pentax/Ricoh
24MP rocks hard ...

I would suggest a starter camera , something cost effective that allows you to learn , and has the functions you need ...
With Canon , possibly a 50D as a starter Camera or a 60D with a L lens ...

Nikon might be better as you can use the old manual lenses : And there are some seriously good deals out there on bodies

Mark L
16-11-2013, 8:53pm
Where'd you go Jossie?
How you going with it all?:rolleyes:

Drubbing
21-11-2013, 1:03pm
I really don't see what an expensive course can teach you, that you can't do yourself. The net has infinite resources. There are a number of books like Understanding Exposure, that are widely recommended.

I think learning photography is mostly about experience, not formal training. You also need a bit of a creative streak, a good eye for seeing the ordinary as interesting. As others have said, read up, join a club, learn from others more advanced, and take masses of photos.

Advice that I have seen over the years about 'going pro' with your favourite hobby (and this has applied to budding writers, musicians artists etc), is that once your hobby is already providing an income, and has got to the point where going full time means it can replace the one from your day job, that's the time to start a business.

wmvaux
21-11-2013, 6:04pm
I think the internet is a great place to learn and get a lot of knowledge on photography. Forums like this, youtube videos, facebook, clubs... the list goes on. What you learn online you need to put into practice because the more you take photos, the more you'll learn. You can't get experience without doing it.

labrooy61
21-12-2013, 4:44pm
Hi guys,

I have only just joined this site and already the suggestions in this thread have justified that.

I am an enthusiastic amateur with no intention of ever being anything but a hobbyist. However I want to be the best I can be and have been looking at how I can achieve this. The suggestions by members on this thread are of great value to one such as I.

I look forward to learning a lot through the forums on this site and becoming a good photographer.

Mark L
21-12-2013, 9:08pm
G'day labrooy61. Don't be afraid to ask questions and generally get involved.
Today someone (g'day waz) posted an interesting link that may help you and others. It's here .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?127651-20-Photographer-s-quot-Cheat-Sheets-quot-all-in-one-place!

crepuscular
23-12-2013, 9:53pm
2nd Drubbing, photography is all about experience and creativity, throwing thousands of dollars into courses is just a waste of money.

you give a pro a kid's camera, and they'll turn out a piece of art with it.

Reflex
01-02-2014, 6:14pm
*removed - please read site rules 3-7*

Reflex
02-02-2014, 2:44pm
*removed - please read site rules 3-7*

My apologies for the oversite :o

William
07-02-2014, 4:29pm
2nd Drubbing, photography is all about experience and creativity, throwing thousands of dollars into courses is just a waste of money.

you give a pro a kid's camera, and they'll turn out a piece of art with it.

So true, Seen it many times , You can have all the best gear But !! You must know how to drive it , My tip, Learn the basic triangle formula , The relationship between , The three important things , ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed, Master this and all the other bells and whistles go out the window , BTW Just my opinion that started with film in the 60's :)

EverlastingMoments21
31-03-2014, 10:38am
Hi Jossie Welcome to AP i'm new to the forum also i have found watching reviews on camera and lenses finding out what the lenses you have can do is really helpful i've just purchased a Nikon D5300 with 18-140mm vr lens which is great i have found so far but reading and watching reviews on what lenses to have to do what i want is helpful .
i love photography after reading what you can here on AP if you know of anyone around your area to be a mentor would also be great to show you things if you need such as a mentor in a camera club :)

i am teaching myself the ropes as well so we can all learn together and show the results we come up with :) i to wish to start my own photography business :)

Tam

Mark L
31-03-2014, 8:48pm
...... after reading what you can here on AP if you know of anyone around your area to be a mentor would also be great to show you things .....

Post some photos to AP and ask what you want in an effort to get better. Some good mentors here.:th3:
'spose you must already have a mentor Tam.;) :)

Drivermann
01-04-2014, 5:42am
Many years ago when I operated a photography business I started out working from home part time. Any income from the business got put back into better equipment etc. As the business grew I was able to then derive an income from it.
I found it was harder to be the sales person than the photographer. This is were having a second person that is emotionally detached from the photo is useful.

darz16
07-04-2014, 11:12am
Hi, I just read that there were exercises on the forum for beginners. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

ameerat42
07-04-2014, 2:01pm
Darz. Click on the Library tab at the top of any AP page, then click on the "New To Photography" section there.
Am.

Mark L
07-04-2014, 8:30pm
And darz16, if you want to put the stuff Am pointed you to in to practice and actually have a reason to take some some photos each week (and see what others are doing, good or not :)), it's not to late to get involved and post to this years member challenge. Seems like some people are learning some things as the year progresses.
The weekly themes are in the first thread here ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?188-Member-Challenges-52-2014

Good way to learn and hope to see you around AP.:th3: