PDA

View Full Version : DSLR - which specs should take priority

AnthonyT
23-06-2013, 7:02pm
There is still and enormous amount I have to learn so Im looking for a camera that can do quite allow but im not wanting a professional quality camera. My interests are varied from nature/wildlife (birds especially), sports, architecture are ones that come to mind.. Though I dont like to set limits as im always open to try new things.. I also like to occasionally shot some video too , so video performance on the camera is of some importance..

As I currently have no investment in lens Im a clean slate but I dont want to lock myself into a brand and find myself with limited lens options as I progress.

The cameras I have been considered are:

Nikon D5200 - Logical menu structure, 39 AF points, pivot screen, 24m/pixels, excellent video quality. Kits lens are apparently better than most. Excellent lens choices available.

Sony NEX 6 - Small, light, Fast burst mode, good video. Charging through USB cable annoying, query about lens options, no menus (just long lists of options)..

Both these cameras have a 1/4000sec shutter speed.. Given that im wanting to shoot birds and live sport/action, would I be better off looking at cameras with faster shutter speeds (1/6000-1/8000) e.g. Pentax K5 II , Sony A series (A65,A77) or Nikon 7000

As a beginner should i just get kit len(s) or get body and invest in one quality lens?

ricktas
23-06-2013, 7:09pm
Where do you see your photography heading?

If you get a DSLR (any brand), your lenses will fairly much fit all the camera bodies of that brand (Canon EF-S lenses being an exception). So if you stick this hobby out in the long term, once you have chosen your brand, got your first DSLR and then some lenses, you can upgrade the body to any other body in the brand line-up and still use your lenses. Now and into the future

Sony NEX, these mirrorless cameras have been around only a few years now and the lenses are specific to the mirrorless system, so you would need to stick to these small, light cameras or fork out a lot of money to get a DSLR and then the lenses.

Personally, I think the DSLR system is the better long term choice.

What you will find is that many DSLR owners also now own a mirrorless camera as their version of a point and shoot, cause they like the interchangeable lenses and the DSLR like handling. In the end it is your choice, but my opinion is go with a DSLR.

jjphoto
23-06-2013, 8:23pm
Can you shoot sport or any fast moving subject with an NEX? I would have thought this was the specialty of the DSLR, especially crop bodies.

Sdison
23-06-2013, 10:44pm
Go a Nikon or a Canon.

Both have large ranges of lenses which will cater for almost any style of photography. In addition, brands like Sigma and Tamron make lenses for each brand, meaning that you can get certain lenses across formats. You won't be locked in until you move on and start to purchase some good glass - at that stage you'll better understand what each brand offers

As a beginner its less about the gear and more about getting out and shooting. It took me a little while to realise that. For what you want to shoot I'd go the D5100 with a twin lens kit. That will cover most things without setting you back a lot of dough. You'll have the range of 18-200mm covered and once you've spent time shooting you'll start to understand where you want to invest in upgrades. The D5100 has a stonkingly good sensor and you'll shoot a stack of good images with it.

For me, it's going down the wide angle lens path so I can work on land and seascape stuff. Sports shooters might want a long f/2.8 lens. It all depends on what you like shooting.

Boo53
24-06-2013, 12:00am
I think the nex would be good for travel and landscape, maybe some portraiture, but I think it would be limited for sport.

There hasn't been a large enough range of lens for A mount sony in the past but that has improved greatly and with Hasselblad releasing an a mount camera in the next 9 months they must be happy with whats out there.

I see your in Northcote, perhaps pop in to Direct Camera Warehouse in high street. Their website suggests they've got A37's & A57 &58's at pretty reasonable prices. Any of those would be a good start for what you want to do.

AnthonyT
24-06-2013, 11:32am
Thanks so much for everyone's input..

You have certainly confirmed what my research was indicating that the Nex 6 whilst being a good camera probably isnt going to be my best choice..

Im certainly on the DSLR route now. The D5100/5200 seems to be a sound choice but the Sony A series are grabbing my attention for there better video and faster shutter speeds.. Other concerns are the EVF as some reviews have indicated there can be delays with it switching on/off ..etc Something I need to check out in person..

Ill take a drive to High St and check out the Digital camera warehouse..
Thanks again everyone for your advice!!

Boo53
24-06-2013, 12:31pm
Thanks so much for everyone's input..

Other concerns are the EVF as some reviews have indicated there can be delays with it switching on/off ..etc Something I need to check out in person..

Ill take a drive to High St and check out the Digital camera warehouse..
Thanks again everyone for your advice!!

I've read those comments as well, but really if you know how to use the camera its not a problem. The EVF I find great, more data there before you shoot. I set the Auto review to off so no delay in the evf. When I want to review the display button is very easy to find with your thumb & you can review on either the LCD or evf, so you can actually review without taking your eye away from the view finder.

I have 3 bodies, A580, A65 & A77. The A580 has the old "normal" view finder, but otherwise is very similar to the others, certainly comparable image quality, but I rarely use it except when on long road trips, mainly because I like the EVF much more.

PS, yeah 3 bodies sound over the top but now that I'm largely retired & we head off for weeks at a time I generally have, say the 11-16 2.8 tokina on one body, the 16-50 2.8 sony on another, and either the 70-200 2.8 tamron or 120-400 sigma on another, all in a nice dust proof case on the back seat & just grab the one with the lens I need when I spot something

Granville
24-06-2013, 12:43pm
I'll defer to other's opinions but I doubt you will be limited with a 1/4000 shutter speed.

ameerat42
24-06-2013, 12:48pm
I'd just say that I don't know why you'd need really high shutter speeds just for birds.
I agree that you should be looking for a DSLR for what you are describing - essentially, versatility, and general speed of operation.
But SDison's post above left out Pentax cameras. There are a couple of Pentax users here who swear by them.
(I'm not one, but...)
Am.

pixy
24-06-2013, 4:55pm
I shoot Pentax,first started in the "80s" the first lens for the camera was 55 f1.8 and it is still the sharpest lens in my bag, it is all manual but the pentax digitals give focus confirmation and the green button gives the aperture and shutter speed,Sigma,Tamron and Pentax lenses will meet your requirements for sport and birding

Pen tax have good cameras in cropped sensor range which is good for birds,the K7, K30,K50,K500,K5,K5ii,K5iis, these are all available new,there are older models as well, there is a model that will meet you requirements. have upgraded to K5iis and it does all that I want.

the onley one that knows what to buy is you go to a camera stor to have a feel of the different ones dont listen to the salesperson as to which is the best,Canon, Nikon,pentax are probably the best sellers in the DSLR there could be a reason :D

Jack.

Dazz1
24-06-2013, 5:06pm
Im certainly on the DSLR route now. The D5100/5200 seems to be a sound choice but the Sony A series are grabbing my attention for there better video and faster shutter speeds.. Other concerns are the EVF as some reviews have indicated there can be delays with it switching on/off ..etc Something I need to check out in person..

I am in a similar situation, and I have found the Canon 600D to be neck and neck with the Nikon D5100. I wonder how the 600D/650D compare to the Sony?

oxygen45
24-06-2013, 7:24pm
Is there a reason you are not considering Canon? For sports I would go with a D7xxx or Canon 60D/7D. The 7D is still widely considered the king of crop for sport and action. Personally I would go with one of these due to the size and the top LCD makes changing settings on the fly considerably easier.

AnthonyT
24-06-2013, 8:04pm
I popped into the DCW today to check things out.. The salesman suggested the d7100 and 7d. His reason was I would "grow" into these cameras where as the 5100 or Sony I would grow out of..

I got to hold both the Nikon d7100 and 7d both with kit lens installed. I was surprise how balanced they feel.

The 7d seems to be superior to the 7100 for action stuff. The consensus seems to be the 7100 is better at low light..

I'm going to the city tomorrow to hassle the city retailers and get a better looks at Pentax, Sony's and the the others I've been considering.

The shop I was in today wasn't keen on putting batteries into the cameras to see them in action. This is probably because I had told him I wasn't buying today, just researching. Other than the physical feel of the camera, I got little out of the visit. :(

I'm sure tomorrow will be more fruitful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ameerat42
24-06-2013, 8:16pm
Did the salesman take your measurements, or suggest how you might "grow into" the cameras? Does he moonlight as a bard?
And I suspect that almost any modern DSLR you hold will similarly surprise you.
(Now I'll stop, lest I become a bard.)
Am.

PS. I should have added: so would almost any older film SLR. (Gosh, words are hashed sometimes!)

AnthonyT
25-06-2013, 9:38am
I'm not sure what to make of your post. So ill just let it slide..

After checking their website I noticed they are trying to clear both of the cameras he suggested I.e d7100 and 7d. Typically salesman.

jjphoto
25-06-2013, 10:03am
Their job is to sell not consult.

ameerat42
25-06-2013, 11:05am
Their job is to sell not consult.

And wax lyrical about their stock.

AnthonyT: you got it. He was making it up.
Am.

Dazz1
25-06-2013, 11:07am
The person that served me at DCW was very helpful. In fact, my short list has turned out to contain his 2 suggestions. He listened to what I was after, and was very helpful, so they aren't all bad.

jjphoto
25-06-2013, 1:15pm
The person that served me at DCW was very helpful. In fact, my short list has turned out to contain his 2 suggestions. He listened to what I was after, and was very helpful, so they aren't all bad.

No one is having a go at any specific retailer (hopefully) but you need to understand that their job is not to sell you the perfect camera which they don't stock, rather the stock they do have that does suit your needs (hopefully). It's a business. That's just a broad generalisation too. There are heaps of great people out there, with lots of experience, but you just need to be aware of their motivations. That is, are they genuinely helping you or just selling.

AnthonyT
25-06-2013, 2:22pm
I used to be in sales myself so im always questioning what their motivation is.. There are some sales people that are genuinely try and help you get the 'best' solution but the majority will just push what gets them the best commission or their favorite brand.

Today I did the city 'tour' to visit the camera shops and was able to check out the NEX 6, Sony A57/65 and Pentax K5 II.. Quickly ruled out the NEX 6 as I find it difficult to hold and access the controls compared to the DSLRS. For my needs the Sony A57 or A65 is what I will be getting.. The fast burst rate, tracking focus and video seem to be unmatched at least for the cameras in my price range.. Im aware of the Sonys weakness in low light but at this stage its not something I plan on doing a lot of.. If i do Ill get a camera that excels in low light..

So now to work out if the a65 is worth the extra $$$... Off to do some thinking...

fillum
25-06-2013, 4:26pm
Im aware of the Sonys weakness in low lightI assume by "low light" you are referring to high-ISO performance? Something to keep in mind if you intend to shoot sport (or anything requiring a fast shutter-speed) is that you may need increased ISO to maintain your required shutter speed even in situations that might not normally be defined as "low light". Afternoon footy games in mid-winter, for example...

Cheers.

AnthonyT
25-06-2013, 5:37pm
Yes i was referring to poor ISO results. After relooking at the a57 and a65 noise performance at mod-high ISO's it not good. Im back to the Nikon 5100, 5200 with the Canon 700D added to the list...

AnthonyT
26-06-2013, 11:34pm
Purchase has been made. I went with the d5200 twin lens kit 18-55mm and 55-200mm. In my budget this seemed rate highly when it came to IQ and high ISP performance... I went for the 5200 over the 5100 due it's improve video over the 5100 and updated focusing system (reviews indicated it was faster due to additional cross matched af points).

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can start getting a some photos happening..

Dazz1
27-06-2013, 8:46am
Sounds like you will soon be experience the joys of a brand new camera, just like me. Congrats.

I went for a Canon 600D btw.