PDA

View Full Version : K5 electronic level calibration

RobertAcres
20-06-2013, 12:41am
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the electronic level in the K5 calibrated?
My horizontal leve is probably ok within half a step or so but the vertical level is way off by 3 or 4 steps.
I've trawled the internets and only found people complaining about it but no solutions. Has anyone played around with the debug mode and noticed if there is a setting for it?

thanks very much

Rob

ricktas
20-06-2013, 7:15am
are you sure it is the camera and not your lens? Meaning that wide angle lenses in particular experience perspective issues and perhaps your lens is distorting the outcome, rather than the level? I just searched google and see quite a few say theirs are ok, yet others say theirs are not accurate, but it could well be that certain lens(es) create a distortion that is being determined to be electronic level, when it is the lens.

There are two many variables in the examples posted on the net to allow us to judge this at all. Most show a photo with the level visible, but we do not see the setup, lens etc.

I am not saying that there is not an issue, just from my quick google search, no-one appears to be doing a process of testing and elimination to find out what the true cause is, rather its just examples that are not scientific in any way.

But if it is out, perhaps a call to your authorised Pentax repairer could enlighten you and us?

RobertAcres
20-06-2013, 5:17pm
Thanks Rick,

I've noticed it at a few zoom levels on my Sigma 18-200mm
Maybe I'll take my Pentax 100mm macro down to the coast and take some test shots.

Rob

olefella
06-07-2013, 4:40pm
Rob it has been suggested on another forum that you upgrade the firmware, worth a try?

ameerat42
06-07-2013, 4:46pm
If all else fails, can you do a factory reset?

RobertAcres
08-07-2013, 4:28pm
Thanks for the comments,

I've updated the firmware and I'll try and go down to the coast so I can check the level with the ocean horizon.
I suppose whether or nor a factory reset would work depends on where the problem lies? Might be worth a go as you say.