PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Linda R
13-06-2013, 11:37am
Hello, I wondered if anyone can help me (yep again).
I was with my son last weekend and was taking photos of him racing (motorbikes). The weather/conditions were very "grey" and dull, infact the conditions were such that Tim was having trouble seeing through the visor on his helmet as it is tinted visor. I was finding that with the camera set on TV I was getting the AV reading flashing at me and to drop it down until it stopped flashing I ended up with the shutter speed down to about 840(?) cant remember the exact number. This was too slow for me as I had a new lens on that I was trying to get the hang of - yet another challenge. :rolleyes: I put the ISO up to 800 and ignored the flashing AV number. :crossed: The photos came out a bit hazy but some seemed to work sort of???? I also put the metering onto spot metering and tried to focus onto the bike. None of this was easy for me as you can imagine the speeds they were doing on the track coupled with my lack of knowledge and I felt a bit "at sea". I know I am not helping by not posting a pic up here but am having trouble with my computer at the moment and as soon as I have that sorted I will try and get something up. I just wondered if any of this made sense to anyone and if there were any ideas to help me. Thanks

ricktas
13-06-2013, 11:40am
Post the photos in the CC forums so we can see them and then we can more readily help

Linda R
13-06-2013, 2:07pm
thanks Rick, will do that as soon as I can get my own computer back on track.

Roosta
06-07-2013, 1:56pm
Hi Linda, can you tell us what Camera - Lens combo you're using and are you trying to get panning shots or stills of your son?
Depending on the Lens, it may be easier to use AV or M mode and adjust (Firstly) the ISO to ambient light conditions. If you have a variable F Stop lens, the shutter will adjust according to the focal length/AP that the body is working to.

Do they look hazy as in lack of focus or colour hazy?

Center Weight Average for metering may be a better choice. But as Rick has mentioned, "pictures tell a thousand words" and make sure you leave the EXIF attached to the image.