PDA

View Full Version : Car shoot advice needed

rum pig
04-06-2013, 10:33am
A friend has an old Holden that he would like photographed and has asked me to do it (he knows I will not charge him).
He is going to organize a model (most likely a female backpacker) for the shoot.
I believe it will be done inside a garage but may move down the road to a nice garden.
My problem is I have never done this kind of shoot before and was interested in any info that might help me.

Mark L
04-06-2013, 10:39pm
I can't help but will ask what flash and lighting equipment (if any) do you have?

ricktas
05-06-2013, 6:49am
1. do you have a polariser, it will help reduce glare and reflections off the car surfaces.
2. lights, if you do not have any off-camera lights, and cannot afford to get some, go to bunnings or similar and get some of those portable flood lights on stands..they work well and even if they are in the shot, they can add a grittiness to the result, especially in a garage setting. And you can use them to light all sorts of things after the shoot is done. *shoot in RAW so you can adjust white balance later if the lights end up creating a colour cast*
3. Prepare to do some cleaning up in the garage. You will find the results more visually pleasing if the garage is reasonably tidy, with tools away etc
4. Grab some car magazines and study the photos, the angles taken from, the backgrounds, where it looks like the lighting has been placed, etc. Try and duplicate this, after all they are in the magazines cause the photographer has worked out what works and what doesn't. So do not be afraid to copy what others have done before.
5. Magazines can also be handy to see how the model poses, and you can get your model to copy those poses as well.

Enjoy, have fun, get creative and show us the photos too when you are done!

rum pig
05-06-2013, 7:26am
Thanks for your reply's

1. do you have a polariser, it will help reduce glare and reflections off the car surfaces.
2. lights, if you do not have any off-camera lights, and cannot afford to get some, go to bunnings or similar and get some of those portable flood lights on stands..they work well and even if they are in the shot, they can add a grittiness to the result, especially in a garage setting. And you can use them to light all sorts of things after the shoot is done. *shoot in RAW so you can adjust white balance later if the lights end up creating a colour cast*
3. Prepare to do some cleaning up in the garage. You will find the results more visually pleasing if the garage is reasonably tidy, with tools away etc
4. Grab some car magazines and study the photos, the angles taken from, the backgrounds, where it looks like the lighting has been placed, etc. Try and duplicate this, after all they are in the magazines cause the photographer has worked out what works and what doesn't. So do not be afraid to copy what others have done before.
5. Magazines can also be handy to see how the model poses, and you can get your model to copy those poses as well.

Enjoy, have fun, get creative and show us the photos too when you are done!

I have one flash with 2 more on the way but they may not get here in time.
I also have 4 studio strobe lights 1400W but they are cheapies from china but until I'm more experienced and wish to keep doing this sort of thing they will have to do.
I am waiting to see what the shed looks like and how much room I have so extra lights may be needed.
I bought some magazines yesterday after I posted this so I can try and work out what they have done.
I defiantly will post my pics:th3:

MattNQ
05-06-2013, 8:13am
Check out Profoto's site.
Videos obviously promoting their gear, but some good tips on lighting cars.
http://www.profoto.com/au/light-shaping-by/tim-wallace/how-to-light-a-muscle-car

Cage
05-06-2013, 12:37pm
Watch you backgrounds with your outside shots. Avoid having power poles, trees and other vegetation seeming to be part of the car. Avoid 'busy' backgrounds.Try to get a fair bit of space between the car and the background.

A plain industrial type wall works well too. Look at some of Harley Davidson's brochures.

Have a brush handy to clean any grunge from the visible tyre treads. Generally look for anything that may distract from your subject.

Good shooting.