PDA

View Full Version : Places to shoot around Philip Island

arnica
03-06-2013, 10:17am
Hi All,

I'll be heading down to Philip Island for the weekend and was wondering what/where would be some nice places to shoot. I'm planning on shooting a sunrise there, so somewhere around the waters edge with some rocks would be nice.

I've never been down there, so any help would be muchly appreciated.

Duane Pipe
03-06-2013, 10:24am
Gday Phil. Dylan (AP member) has some wonderful images taken around the isle I will try and find the thread:)

arnica
03-06-2013, 10:46am
Gday Phil. Dylan (AP member) has some wonderful images taken around the isle I will try and find the thread:)

Thanks Dave,

Also I cant believe we are not allowed to use cameras at the penguin parade ????

Dylan & Marianne
03-06-2013, 11:14am
Hey guys - a great spot is at Cape Woolamai though more at sunset than dawn
Google maps coords are : -38.558905,145.342162

arnica
03-06-2013, 11:26am
Hey guys - a great spot is at Cape Woolamai though more at sunset than dawn
Google maps coords are : -38.558905,145.342162

Thanks Dylan!!

The place looks a stunner!!!!

Granville
03-06-2013, 11:31am
Thanks Dave,

Also I cant believe we are not allowed to use cameras at the penguin parade ????

I believe it is because of the flash. You can tell people not to use flash but they always will.

- - - Updated - - -

Cape Woolamai isn't terribly wide, so it doesn't take long to get to the sunrise side.

arnica
03-06-2013, 11:54am
I believe it is because of the flash. You can tell people not to use flash but they always will.

- - - Updated - - -

Cape Woolamai isn't terribly wide, so it doesn't take long to get to the sunrise side.

Is it hard to get down to the rocks? I see many shots taken from ground level, but also a few shots were taken from an elevated position. I would much prefer to get down as close to the water as possible.

Granville
03-06-2013, 12:19pm
In places it's okay. Cape Woolamai is a nature reserve for the most part so the southern half only has one road going in, but not all the way down. Google Maps (https://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=UTF-8&q=cape+woolamai+phillip+island&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x6ad5f2c3f239fde9:0x50579a430a0d3f0,Cape+Woolamai+VIC&gl=au&ei=kfurUf-YGOaaiQfZ6oDADA&ved=0CI8BELYD) satellite pic shows walking, or maybe off road, tracks through the reserve. It also shows sand beaches going right down the east and west sides with only the end of the cape looking like it's got rocks and higher ledges.

Nice place to explore though so take your walking shoes.... and wear something nice and warm. The Southern Ocean blows pretty cold this time of the year.