PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to protect your camera from water?

Miyuki
27-05-2013, 12:06pm
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question, after a couple of accidents...
What do you use to protect your camera from water (rain, sea waves etc...)?
I have no intention of doing underwater photos since I hate cold water, and I only need a quick fix.
Previously I tried a shower cap, but obviously that doesn't work with bigger lenses.

Thank you for your help in advance :)

I @ M
27-05-2013, 12:27pm
I only need a quick fix.

Such a thing is not suitable for all events ---

Rainwater in moderate doses will not have much influence on fully sealed camera bodies and lenses. The more "consumer" range of Nikon bodies and lenses do not offer a high level of protection.

Sea water should be avoided at all costs if you are getting significant wetting of your gear. The salt in seawater causes corrosion very quickly. It kills cameras.

- - - Updated - - -

I only need a quick fix.

Such a thing is not suitable for all events ---

Rainwater in moderate doses will not have much influence on fully sealed camera bodies and lenses. The more "consumer" range of Nikon bodies and lenses do not offer a high level of protection.

Sea water should be avoided at all costs if you are getting significant wetting of your gear. The salt in seawater causes corrosion very quickly. It kills cameras.

Miyuki
27-05-2013, 12:48pm
[QUOTE=I @ M;1148534]Such a thing is not suitable for all events ---

[COLOR="silver"]

I understand your point I @ M :)
The way I wrote wasn't probably right. What I meant is that I'm not intending to buy a $2000 underwater housing that costs more than my camera, but obviously a shower cap isn't good enough as well.

Anyway my question...what do you use? :)

William
27-05-2013, 2:44pm
I use a big green Garbage bag , Dont laugh , It works if caught out away from the car , I have tried a couple of these types , But find them restrictive http://www.wexphotographic.com/rain-covers/b3023

I @ M
27-05-2013, 3:28pm
Anyway my question...what do you use? :)

I have had a D200 body absolutely soaked in rainwater over a period of about 4 hours because I had to be there. It suffered no ill affects at all and is still going strong.

These days I use either extreme caution or abstinence when water is involved.

Mary Anne
27-05-2013, 5:03pm
Same here I carry a plastic bag when out..

ktoopi
27-05-2013, 5:33pm
I also always have a plastic bag with an appropriate sized hole in the corner and rubber band to secure around lens in my camera kit just in case..... and also a microfibre towel for quick drying off if necessary:)

Miyuki
28-05-2013, 11:02am
I also always have a plastic bag with an appropriate sized hole in the corner and rubber band to secure around lens in my camera kit just in case..... and also a microfibre towel for quick drying off if necessary:)

Thanks William, Mary Anne, ktoopi and I@M of your comments and ideas!
I like the idea of ktoopi, using a plastic bag with a hole and rubber band. It is a great idea :)

A few weeks ago, big waves came in while I was doing seascape shots, and I almost lost my camera. I will definitely try a plastic bag next time :)

Mary Anne
28-05-2013, 11:12am
And another good protection for your camera is to have Portable Insurance an added extra on your Home Contents Insurance..

Wobbles
28-05-2013, 9:41pm
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question, after a couple of accidents...
What do you use to protect your camera from water (rain, sea waves etc...)?
I have no intention of doing underwater photos since I hate cold water, and I only need a quick fix.
Previously I tried a shower cap, but obviously that doesn't work with bigger lenses.

Thank you for your help in advance :)

Hi Miyuki,
if you're just after a quick fix, I always have a couple of these in my bag for emergencies - http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html They're effectively a glorified 'plastic bag' but a bit more specifically designed for the job. They're quite cheap (look on ebay), light and take up minimal room in your bag and most importantly they work. Will fit up to a pro DSLR + pro telezoom or medium prime lens, can also get one that fits flash as well.

If you need something more permanent these are the best around (imho) http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rain-covers/hydrophobias.aspx

Cheers
John

Miyuki
29-05-2013, 6:36pm
And another good protection for your camera is to have Portable Insurance an added extra on your Home Contents Insurance..

My colleague recently mentioned about that! I'll definitely look into that :) thanks Mary Anne

Miyuki
29-05-2013, 6:39pm
Hi Miyuki,
if you're just after a quick fix, I always have a couple of these in my bag for emergencies - http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html They're effectively a glorified 'plastic bag' but a bit more specifically designed for the job. They're quite cheap (look on ebay), light and take up minimal room in your bag and most importantly they work. Will fit up to a pro DSLR + pro telezoom or medium prime lens, can also get one that fits flash as well.

If you need something more permanent these are the best around (imho) http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rain-covers/hydrophobias.aspx

Cheers
John

Rain sleeve is such a cool idea, and it is fairly cheap :)
I will get from eBay!! Thank you Wobbles!