PDA

View Full Version : Flash or not to flash ?

britinozz
18-05-2013, 7:34pm
I am going to Bali in August and not sure to take flash with me and if i did would i use it.
i will be taking heaps of candid portraits in Ubud and will be using my 24-70 and the 70-200 i know i could get away with a ISO around 400-800 no probs but as i havent used the flash much not sure if it would be better or not.
wats your thoughts?

fess67
18-05-2013, 8:31pm
candid and flash may not go together.

I @ M
18-05-2013, 8:32pm
Personal thoughts are that you will be better off leaving it at home unless you want to do some "staged" portraits. I would simply substitute your 50 F/1.4 and not stress too much about using 3200 iso as your camera can handle it and a little bit of grain in low light / shallow depth of field shots will add rather than subtract from street / candid images.

You will find that 99% of the locals will be quite happy with you photographing them close up in the streets and to me they make the best shots in those situations. I would even consider leaving the 70-200 at home apart from using it at full length for the abundant monkeys around Ubud.

britinozz
19-05-2013, 11:28am
Thanks yeh not sure but want to capture well exposed sharp images in some dark situations it could come in handy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for advise.